Question URGENT help needed: rain coming + driver's window stuck open

2001 V70XC Cross Country

My wife got her arm caught in the front driver's side window, after which the window went all the way down.

The window is now stuck in the open condition. I asked if it made any strange noises, to which she answered no; so I am guessing it did not come off the track. It does not make any noise at all now, so I am also guessing there is an electrical disconnect somewhere.

Is there a fuse or relay or something else controlling this? If so, what should I check, where is it, and how do I check it? I am guessing there is some sort of reset procedure for this, but it is not intuitive, and she has not found it in the manual. If you have pictures or diagrams, that would help.

I said "URGENT" because rain is due.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-07-2010 at 08:17 AM.

there are 3 or 4 blue plastic clips that hold the window to the rail that easily break (I know because my wife broke some in the frozen winter). Look down in the window and see if the window is off the track. If it doesnt move at all or make any noise when you press the window switch then it could be electrical related, but it seems unlikely since she had her arm stuck in the window. To get a better look, push all the plastic pins on the door in with a philips screwdriver all around the door and also pop the plastic cover off the top front part of door and then you can slide the door panel up and off to look inside the door at the window, also you can inspect the window switches. Don't disconnect anything electrical though without disconnecting the battery or else it could throw a code. good luck.. I know that feeling of having a window stuck open and snow or rain coming down, I had to put a plastic sheet around the door until I got it fixed.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi

The dealership said it could be a relay which should pop up (reset) by itself after a brief period. It seems that it should have done that by now. Anyone know what they might have meant, and where to check?

We have (had?) plans to go to New Hampshire tomorrow, but now may need to switch plans (already booked place), if this needs to go in for repairs.

dealer fixed my window in a few hours, but mine was the plastic pieces that broke so who knows about yours.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red - Sand Leather - Premium package - Touring Package - Versatility package - USA Spec Ipod Adapter. - Mudflaps - Euro wing loadbars - 12" Alpine-X sub - 55w 4500K HIDs

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - All Black - Tinted - 17" rims - silicone hose kit - 3" DP SS turbo back magnaflow exhaust - boost gauge - 13 lbs boost.

1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX - Triple Black - 306CI V8 - Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust - T5z - 4.10 posi

Brought it to the local garage (NOT the stealership!). The mechanic there looked at it and said he got it working, but if it breaks again, it could be expensive (the "MASTER SWITCH"). He thought he grounded something and got it working.

Then I told him what happened (something stuck in window, then window went down and stayed down). He then said maybe it just needed a reset, and that was it. $40 total.