Today I could not start my 01 XC - key went in, turned to position 'I' but woudl not turn any further. Radio, windows, sunroof etc all worked OK - tranny in 'P,' steering wheel lock would lock and unlock properly. This was NOT the 'immobilizer' or any electronic issue; it was clearly a mechanical jam in the lock mechanism itself. After multiple tries I muscled it into submission [maybe pure luck] and drove home.

Later when I shut down I carefully cycled the key and could feel that there is a spring loaded 'plunger' that pushed 'OUT' with the key - I think this was jammed 'IN' based on the strange feel I got when inserting the key while jammed.

If this is in fact a problem with the lock cylinder itself [as opposed to the switch] is there anything you can do to lubricate the mechanism? Graphite or LockEase or similar products? Can you lube the lock without contaminating the electrical contacts?

Not looking forward to many hundreds of $$ for new lock, keys, programming, etc etc. so anty help is appreciated!