Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vibration in the entire car when acceleration between 60 to 70mph

I just bought at 2001 V70 XC (1 year ago) and have noticed that for the last few months I have been having vibration issues with the car as I go from 60 to 70mph. The vibration pretty much disappears right at 70mph. I had the tires replaced, then had them balanced, rotated and aligned. Still have the vibration issue. The whole car seems to shake as the engine concentrates at those speeds. It is only during acceleration because if you take your foot of the gas, no shaking or vibration. Any suggestions before I take it to my local Volvo dealer and get taken to the cleaners?

I noticed a similar problemn my wife's 04 last week travelling to Porstmouth and have no Idea what might be the cause. The vibration is minor and only between 55 and 60 mph. It is a minor vibrarion which I feel in the sterring wheel similar to a wheel being slightly out of balance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Rocket Fan; 07-14-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Fan View Post
    I noticed a similar problemn my wife's 04 last week travelling to Porstmouth and have no Idea what might be the cause. The vibration is minor and only between 55 and 60 mph. It is a minor vibrarion which I feel in the sterring wheel similar to a wheel being slightly out of balance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Since it is slight it could be anything. That is, an imperfection in the tire such as a slight flat spot, a belt shift caused by an impact, a wee bit of that red Island mud on the inside of the rim (I have this occur off and on even in summer and BTW, the last time I was up to Summerside) or the fact that you are just used to those decent roads you guys have over there versus the crap roads just about everywhere else, especially in New England. And tire balance can go off a bit over time, perhaps its time to have the balance checked?

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ctnavyrichie View Post
    It is only during acceleration because if you take your foot of the gas, no shaking or vibration. Any suggestions before I take it to my local Volvo dealer and get taken to the cleaners?
    Drive axles, probably the propeller shaft, you're going to want to live with it

Thanks for the reply Bill,

Maybe a bit of our red mud stuck to the inside of a wheel as the car had been down a couple muddy roads. I'll give them a good cleaning and see if that cures the problem. If that does not do it it's off to the tire shop ....

get the tires rebalanced and have them speed balance them. somethimes when they are balanced normally (without speed balanceing them) you'll get this as they are out of balance at higher speeds
    Frank
    2003 V70 XC
    1993 Typhoon
    1987 Grand National
    1969 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Fan View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bill,

Maybe a bit of our red mud stuck to the inside of a wheel as the car had been down a couple muddy roads. I'll give them a good cleaning and see if that cures the problem. If that does not do it it's off to the tire shop ....
    You know, all kidding aside, what happen to me was I was up out on the dirt roads north of Summerside last fall and there were some bits where I ended up packing that red mud into the wells pretty good. Didn't seem to have created much of a problem at the time, but I hosed the car off once we got back to where we were staying but let it sit after I did that. What it looked like happened was that the mud in the wheels, now wet, slid down to the lower part of the inside rim and re-solidified there. Next morning, it felt like I had square wheels the vibration was so bad. I re-hosed the wheels out doing a better job, plus hit the road back this way, and it fixed it. Hence my suggestion.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Default Same exact problem

On my 2002 XC70 I have the same symptoms, it just recently started. Vibration throughout the car from about 58-68mph, but only while pushing on the accelerator. Also doesn't matter what gear the car is in (have done 4th and 5th). I don't have steering wheel wobble like a front tire or brake rotor. I also got the tires rotated and rebalanced and it made zero difference.

So has anyone found the cause of this? I am very confident it is not wheel balance or brake rotors, it also isn't transmission gear. So that leaves some kind of drive line balance as the odds on favorite, but I don't want to go through replacing those overpriced pieces one at a time when most are good.

Should I look to the prop shaft? rear drive shaft? CV's?

Given it's under acceleration only, sounds like a drive shaft to me.

If it's the wheels that are out of balance, you'd feel it when rolling along at a constant speed.

Parts for these cars are really cheap over in America, so you should be right. Cost me over $1000 in Australia for just one drive shaft. AU$=$US.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

This wakes up my old memory.

I don't really know the answer. And I have no idea about how it happen in reality. I only remember 10 years ago I had a VW and that car acted similar. Vibration come with speed but go with even higher speed. I didn't think about how to fix it at that time as I didn't understand car at all.

Now when I think about it, theoretically, resonance (Hope I'm using a correct word.) This can pretty well explain this symptom which only come at a certain speed.

I can't understand how transmission, engine or shaft shake less when speed go even higher.
    I'd like think something always vibrate at a certain speed, but bushing hold it and reduce the impact. But after years when bushing worn out then you act like a bushing to counteract the vibration.

Also this related to acceleration so engine or transmission related.
    I will check engine or transmission mount bushings. No cost at least.

Thanks.
    Last edited by haoz129; 02-17-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast