Default Volvo engine noise

I have been shopping for 2001- 2002 Volvos for the past couple of weeks and I have noticed that all of the cars I have test driven seem to have noisy engines. I could not hear anything until I popped the hood and then it's sort of a tatatatatatatatat. Not to loud but it's there. This was on 3 or 4 of the cars I looked at and in fact I have not heard a quite engine yet. I was told from a couple of people that most volvos will have similar engine noise at idle.

Is this in fact a normal Volvo trait or something to be leary of?

Thanks

Default Injector Noise?

How long has the engine run to warm up? Fuel injector noise? I find on cooler days the noise is evident at first, but once the engine has thoroughly warmed up it's gone.

Harold.

Noise was there whether the engine was cold or warm. The last car I test drove made the noise but if I reved up the engine a bit I could not here it.

I have driven cars in the past that had bad lifter tap or even a rod knock and the noise always increased with the rpm's. Not so in this case.

It's probably injectors ticking which is perfectly normal. Also, these engines don't use hydraulic lifters (shims are used for valve clearance adjustment) so that can be ruled out. If the injectors weren't ticking (dirty), then that would be abnormal.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    It's probably injectors ticking which is perfectly normal. Also, these engines don't use hydraulic lifters (shims are used for valve clearance adjustment) so that can be ruled out. If the injectors weren't ticking (dirty), then that would be abnormal.

Dave.

That makes me feel better. I was thinking what could possibly be the chances of multiple cars I looked at all haveing the same engine problems.

They all have a little clicking, normal for this engine