Default CHECK ENGINE Malfunction Indicator Light came on and car stalled

So a few days ago wife got the dreaded light and the engine stalled on her. She restarted the car after, and light remained off, and has been driving it since without the light or any more problems. So it was a one time thing it seems for now.

Well, since I was taking car in for service for other stuff, and this seemed serious, I took it in today to see what the code said and all they said was something about a solenoid throwing a code and a bunch of things about an algorithm. The SA said a software update was done for that. He hadn't finished the paperwork yet by the time the car was ready, so I've not seen what's written on the work order.

Is it normal for me to ask for the details of their scan to see the actual codes?

Does it make sense that some sort of software bug (what he made it sound like) would actually cause the car to stall? I'd have thought something physical malfunctioning and not sending enough fuel for example to the engine might cause a stall. I asked if he was sure this solenoid wasn`t malfunctioning and needed replacement and he said no.

I'm worried the diagnosis wasn't correct and it might leave us stranded somewhere the next time and not restart right away...

What are your thoughts? Does any of what I said make sense? I'll post more details too when I get the copy of my work order in the mail.

I would personally ask to see the VIDA report.

Hi, my XC did this. It stalled once and then nothing for a few weeks before happening again. Garage thought it to be a faulty injector, which they then replaced. No probs since, and that was 5 months ago.

Regards, Graeme.

tints, intergrated cool box, picnic table, thule bars &box, volvo tow bar, rear bumper protector, rear skid plate, volvo sat nav and tv, 2.4d geartronic.

East Sussex, UK
    '03 XC70 D5 SE Lux
    '05 Beetle 1.9 TDi
    '92 Scirocco GT2

Default Update

Sorry, I didn't get around to posting the results after I asked them for the VIDA report. Apparently, they're not allowed to let customers see them... Don't know if it's some baloney story to prevent customers from knowing too much about their cars?

The work order just says:

Hook up and install software. 1 30785205 0 ECM GASOLINE RELOAD
    FC: 10BB

I read the report though, and while I couldn't keep a copy, it said:

Found codes ECM P017068 Fuel Trim, P17068 Engine shut off solenoid, P0A0F68 Engine Failed to start, P151B68 Idle Speed Lower.

All the codes were proceeded with "algorithm based failures". The solution was to upgrade some part of the software I understood.

Can anyone make any sense of the above codes and work order details? Is this something to be worried about? I always thought that an engine shutting off was a fuel problem, and therefore something mechanical, like injectors, fuel pump, etc. not software?

I'm worried because we're also going on a big road trip with the babies and don't want to think even of the car leaving us stranded on the highway somewhere... At least luckily, the problem's only happened that one time about two months ago after driving the car for 6 months. But then again, I hate mysteries, and think that I'll be lucky again sometime when I really don't want to be!

[QUOTE=Lotus99;98552]
    The work order just says:

Hook up and install software. 1 30785205 0 ECM GASOLINE RELOAD
    FC: 10BB

I read the report though, and while I couldn't keep a copy, it said:

Found codes ECM P017068 Fuel Trim, P17068 Engine shut off solenoid, P0A0F68 Engine Failed to start, P151B68 Idle Speed Lower.

All the codes were proceeded with "algorithm based failures". The solution was to upgrade some part of the software I understood.

QUOTE]

The algorithm based codes are telling you that the code was set as a result of the readings being outside a mathematically calculated (expected) range. The "Engine Failed to start, & Idle Speed Lower" codes are simply stating that the car stalled, & didn't start within the expected time frame. There is no fault tracing related to those codes.

We saw a few cars with codes like these as a result of a section of the wiring harness that would chaff against a machined edge on the transmission. Your technician likely checked for this during the fault tracing.

However, ALOT of these types of issues have been software related. Upgrading or reloading the ECM software HAS remedied the faults. You can only imagine the lines of code programmed into these cars, so the opportunity for a glitch to arise in certain running conditions isn't too far fetched.

Thanks for the info. Reassuring.