Default switching from synthetic to mineral

I am considering switching to mineral oil from synthetic. I change my oil frequently ( 5000-6000 kms) so I do not feel synthetic is needed. I have used synthetic for the past couple of years, is it ok to change back to mineral considering I use quality oil?

I think the frequency of change is more important than the type of oil. You should be fine with regular oil if you keep up a good oil change schedule. If you do a lot of driving in steep hilly areas, or if you have a turbo it might be better to stay with synthetic, which is more resistant to high temperatures.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

Yeah, I do have a turbo, so I think for a few extra bucks I might as well be sure I'm protecting it instead of wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny c View Post
    I am considering switching to mineral oil from synthetic. I change my oil frequently ( 5000-6000 kms) so I do not feel synthetic is needed. I have used synthetic for the past couple of years, is it ok to change back to mineral considering I use quality oil?
    Why so frequent a change with synthetic? I am assuming that you are not operating your car in extreme conditions such as racing or extreme weather? I've been running all my white-engined Volvos at 10K kms intervals with no ill effects. Even at that, I'm exceeding what the book says is necessary. The result has been that all of them have had fairly high mileage with good compression, original turbos and decent overall condition when I got rid of them (from the desire for something new versus unloading a disaster). All you are doing with a these too frequent changes is putting even more money into the pockets of Big Oil and using up a diminishing resource. You really aren't doing anything for the car as you are replacing decent enough oil with new oil. Hopefully, you are re-cycling the "old" oil so the rest of us have a shot at it.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

The oil is recycled responsibly, no worries there. I have always used conventional oil in the past. This is the first turbo I have owned, hence the first car I've used synthetic. I have to get over the 5000km oil change interval. It just seems unatural to let it go that long!!! Maybe I'll give a shot and just keep an eye on it. It's a mind thing, I'm very anal when it comes to looking after my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny c View Post
    The oil is recycled responsibly, no worries there. I have always used conventional oil in the past. This is the first turbo I have owned, hence the first car I've used synthetic. I have to get over the 5000km oil change interval. It just seems unatural to let it go that long!!! Maybe I'll give a shot and just keep an eye on it. It's a mind thing, I'm very anal when it comes to looking after my stuff.
    I ran 7500km intervals in my 850R that I would normally shift at 4500 to 5000 rpm and it was in pretty good shape when I got rid of it. In fact, I even had it when I lived up in North Bay (ON) where it was exposed to some pretty frightening temperatures (-40C). All my other Volvos there ran 10K intervals; again, with no apparent ill effects. I even talked to the guy that bought my V70 that had 390K on it a few years ago and it is still running strong with close to 500K now on the original motor. Puts my old red motor Volvos to shame.

Anyway, just my two cents but I think it is just a shame that many of us have been so hood-winked by Big Oil and the village rumours of 40 years ago that there is so much waste of good oil. And then to hear about how much of that oil is not re-cycled and not disposed of properly. No wonder we have all these socio-political issues around these days that are centered around Oil.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Considering synthetics are derived from mineral stocks, you can save yourself a lot of bucks and use regular conventional oil and keep your current change interval. I change mine every 6000 km religiously....NOT every 12,000 (which is total crap, and THAT'S what causes sludge). You won't have any problems with a changeover.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

For both my XC's I change oil at 7500 miles which coincides with the service intervals. No problems with either XC and I don't expect any.
    I think its a matter of learned behavior from the past as all the fluid change intervals have increased and many cannot adjust, witness the frequent posts about transmission and other fluid changing.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S