Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Engine oil drain plug torque

I understand the plug has to be tightened with care since the bottom of the engine is aluminium.
    It is not the first time I drain the engine oil, but this time, when removing the plug, it felt as if it
    wasn't very tight. So I payed extra attention when tightening the plug, new washer, torque key
    set at 35Nm per Volvo spec. And this felt if it was too little (so I added a bit of torque ).
    Am I the only one to have this impression? You know, once doubt sneakes in.....
    Willy
    Last edited by Willy; 04-19-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I understand the plug has to be tightened with care since the bottom of the engine is aluminium.
    It is not the first time I drain the engine oil, but this time, when removing the plug, it felt as if it
    wasn't very tight. So I payed extra attention when tightening the plug, new washer, torque key
    set at 35Nm per Volvo spec. And this felt if it was too little (so I added a bit of torque ).
    Am I the only one to have this impression? You know, once doubt sneakes in.....
    Willy
    I do my strictly by feel and have never stripped a pan, had a plug fall out, or actually had a leak (assuming a new washer). These guys that strip the threads must be absolute gorillas as I probably put about 35Nm by just putting a bit of my Wheaties to it. I even had a plug in a new SAAB I bought once that took a 4 foot breaker bar to break loose and the thread was OK.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I torque mine to 32 lb/ft. The first change I did on that car, I over-torqued to about 47 lb/ft because it just didn't feel tight enough at the correct torque. I shat bricks for 6000 kms until it was time to do the next change. The drain bolt was fine and so were the threads in the pan.....no harm done.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

No problem by hand!
    I've taken the plug off after my indy guy changed oil and had to get a breaker bar to do it, so its very hard to really damage the plug threads or the pan threads.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S