Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey Dubhead - please continue to post away. Regular readers of this
    Forum know to ignore JRL's frequent childish rants.

Thumbs up summary...

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
    Hey Dubhead - please continue to post away. Regular readers of this
    Forum know to ignore JRL's frequent childish rants.
    No worries there...as I said before, it would take a lot to get me upset in an online forum. I am pretty easy-going about accepting my short-comings when it comes to attention to detail. I multitask way to much, to the point of being ineffective and tend to forget important details so it goes with what I have or haven't done with my auto. I actually appreciate the fervent scolding sometimes because at the very least it indicates someone is at least passionate about something enough to write a discourse (or sharp discourse as it were).

So to summarize...we can all agree that the indicator in the dash is nothing more than a signal to check for messages....period. It is not related to a particular type of message or otherwise, just messages from some codes that were tripped. Does that sound good?

Cheers!
    ~Dubhead

we can all agree that the indicator in the dash is nothing more than a signal to check for messages....period.
    Almost. The light will be amber for most messages but for more severe ones it will be red.
    Colin
    Kinuso, Alberta
    Canada
    2004 XC70 25T, Ruby Red
    2002 V40 (Wife's)
    2001 Nissan X-terra
    2006 Suzuki V-Strom

Quote Originally Posted by ELOV View Post
    Your bedside manner never ceases to amaze me - totally rude and out of line.

No not really.....
    Think of him as our "Simon" from American Idol....

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    Almost. The light will be amber for most messages but for more severe ones it will be red.
    Yes - like if a door is open, it shows red. I love the way it can be either yellow or red - I'm easily amused by little details like that.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Default Red vs Yellow

It's not necessarily severity of the problem, but rather whether the car is allowed to be driven or not, as Volvo perceives it.

Red - risk of hurting self or passengers (example - open doors), or blowing up the engine (example low coolant). Both of the sample issues can be easily solved with little or no effort.

Yellow - OK to drive (or limp for that matter). If your transmission is going it's Yellow (I think), while it can be very expensive to repair, the probability of making things much worse by driving is low, so the light is Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagikos View Post
    Yellow - OK to drive (or limp for that matter). If your transmission is going it's Yellow (I think), while it can be very expensive to repair, the probability of making things much worse by driving is low, so the light is Yellow.
    I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that it was red when we got the urgent message to pull over immediately; but it was several years ago.
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

This is old but just in case it can help someone, The Red Triangle Light for me was caused by "Drivers Door Open" as simple as that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12