Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power Steering fluid change - 01

Have to replace the reservoir this weekend.

I've read to remove small reservoir hose and put on a clear plastic then put in container and run engine until fluid stops.

Is there a way to gravity drain the system? Just don't want to chance running the pump w/o lubrication. Or is the above method OK?

And, can full synthetic fluid be used instead of the CHF-11S? Or is that more of a gamble and just stick with the 11S?

Thanks
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

"99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Let us know how this works for you - as well, try to take pictures of your job and post a small write-up if you'd like.

I just pumped mine out. I think you can't get rid of ALL of it towards the end, just trickles keeps on coming out.

The 1 Quart of CHF-11S will do. You will need to turn the wheel completely left and right and hold it at the steering stops for 10 seconds to bleed it. Do this 20x and move the car and do it again to avoid rotating on the same spot on the tires. These are the directions in bottom of the steering rack replacement page for bleeding

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...ering-gear.pdf

If you don't want the system to run dry, I guess you have to partially siphon out of the reservoir and put new fluids in repeatedly. I had no problems pumping it all out then refilling it.

Good price on CHF-11S at that site btw. fcpgroton is $20/quart now.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Let us know how this works for you - as well, try to take pictures of your job and post a small write-up if you'd like.
    Will do, the fluid should arrive tomorrow . . .

Default New Reservoir Installed

Below are picks of the install / flush:
    1st shows old reservoir,
    2nd shows suction method to remove old fluid,
    3rd shows clear hose connected to return to reservoir (top) hose,
    4th shows catch container for old fluid as the motor runs,
    5th shows funnel in the inlet (bottom) hose to the pump.
    I ran the engine as I poured about 1/2 qt new fluid into funnel until I green (new) fluid was visible in the clear hose going into catch container.

Site only allows for 5 pictures next reply has a few more.

6th (1st this reply) shows new green fluid present in clear hose to catch container.
    7th (2nd this post) shows finished install.

Not a bad little project.

Joe MC -- Thanks much for posting the great photos. I'm about to do this same thing this next week (although it seems I may have to wait longer for the reservoir) - very helpful!
    Ben
    2002 V70 XC
    2002 V70 2.4t

Ben,

What worked great for me that I didn't find mentioned anywhere was, after you use the pump to push out as much fluid as you can, put a funnel in the line to the pump and dump in new fluid w/engine running until you see new fluid in the clear drain hose. This only used about 1/2 qt of the new fluid. At least this method pushes as much of the remaining old stuff out. Oh, after I filled the new reservoir and checked the fluid (cold w/o engine running) I had wife start engine and watched the fluid go down as I added more to keep air from getting in the lines. Then once proper cold level was obtained I let it run for a while and then did the turn the steering wheel stop to stop, stopping and holding to lock for 10 seconds and then back to the other side. I did this 3 or 4 times, rolled car back about a foot and did this another 2 times - I checked the fluid and it didn't drop at all = no air in the system. Took for a nice long ride and checked the level hot = perfect. I did notice a little weep from the top hose, when I put the ratchet on the screw clamp it was looser than when I first put it on = now that the system warmed up things expanded a bit, a few cranks on both new clamps and all was tight again. I'm going to check again this morning to make sure I don't have a hose problem too boot.

I ordered 3 qts of the CHF-11S and after the job is all done I have about 1-1/2 qts left over. Just so anyone that wants to know it really only take about 2 qts to do the job.

Have fun - it's really a pretty easy/neat project.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
    Have to replace the reservoir this weekend.
    Why? Leaking? Or just seeping a bit?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast