Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VC Fluid?

Default VC Fluid?

Hello Fellows,

The car is a 1998 AWD V70.

We had quite a snow storm here in Atlantic Canada recently, and the freshly snoblowered driveway was a great blank canvas for my car to drip onto in the driveway.

When I pulled away this morning, I noticed two yellow spots in the snow, so I went to check them out.

They were a strange yellow-green colour, and there were two nearly identical spots, both lined up as if directly dead center under the car, one fore and one aft, and just ahead/fore of where the rear differential would be.

I can only assume this is viscous coupling fluid by the location, but I don't know what colour that fluid is supposed to be so I can't know for sure.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I had to use a bit of throttle to get out of the snowdrift that had accumulated around the nose of the car overnight - is it possible the VC is blowing fluid out somewhere/somehow when it's engaging?

Any clarification you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

Bevel gear & rear end fluid: Looked like engine oil, smells like @#$#@
    Viscous coupler: Doesn't leak fluid. sealed silicone filled.
    Tranny: pink/red if good and brown engine oil look if bad
    Engine oil: looks like engine oil!
    Coolent: yellow green color
    Brake fluid: clear maybe brownish if REALLY old
    Windshield washer fluid: Whatever it looks like when you filled it last!

There is your BASIC run down......

Thanks for the fluid run-down.

Though coolant can be yellow/green I'm currently using orange coolant so I know it's not that. The only fluid I'm currently using that even resembles this yellow-green colour is my washer fluid - it's the location that really threw me off. The puddles looked to be about even with the front/fore and back/aft ends of the viscous coupling unit....

I understand it's sealed though - I don't suppose anyone know /how/ it's sealed? As in - is it possible for fluid to get out of it at all ever?

I'm going to try to get under the car this weekend and see what I can dig up in terms of tracking the drip down.

It's not gonna be the VC. It's welded shut. It would have to rust out, and that's just not going to happen; I cut one open to look at the innards, trust me, it's not even viscous liquid compared to the gear oils. Could be the front pinion seal in the rear diff, since the location is the same.

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

WOW lookforjoe I don't suppose you have any pics for us to look at?
    I'd love to see how your rip job on the VC went. Good on you for ripping into one that (I can only assume) was busted - I applaud your DIYness . What do the guys at make magazine say : "If you can't open it, you don't own it".

Based on the responses I've gotten here I think I'm going to have to conclude that it was washer fluid and NOT fluid from the VC.

I live in northern Ontario and have a 98 model as well. This morning after a really bad snow storm, I noticed the exact same yellow fluid lined up under my car the same way that you have described. I will check my windshield fluid to see the colour, but I believe it is purple. I am curious to find out what you discover when you go check it out further.

@ mapleleaf:

boy howdy, I just had myself convinced it was washer fluid...

Please check your fluid colour and get back to us.

I will try to get under my car and see what I can deduce by sight from under there as well.

Your report makes this story take a bit of a twist.

I'll have to take a pic or two; not much to see really once it's cut open.

There are two compartments, if you weren't aware; the front 3/4 is VC, the back is a freewheel mechanism that disengages the rear on decel/braking to prevent overdriving the front.

we all know what "yellow snow" is, fellas - what kinda animal tracks were near your car

'98 V70XC/446AWHP/347WTq / M66 AWD/ Built RN Motor/ Dual VVT head/Enem Cams/TurboTuner ECU/1000cc injectors/ LGSpeed Header/ Custom Intake Manifold/PTE 6262bb + 3" DP/ FMIC/ Water Injection/ 3" intake pipe/ Greddy BOV/ Apexi AVC-R /Column 3-pod: AEM AFR meter/ Dual Boost/Pyrometer/ IPD Sways/ IPD endlinks/ Kaplhenke AWD Suspension/ 18" Motegi 116/ IPD BBK/ Rear Custom BBK/ 3" dual 14834 Magnaflows/ EST H/L's/ SharpHID Hi/Lo&Fogs 4500K/60-100 in 4.3sec 1/4 mile 110mph

Actually the "don't eat yellow snow" adage was rolling through my mind when I first saw it.

Unfortunately no tracks, though it would have been impressive avant garde art for some critter to create two little puddles in just the right spots!

I suppose I can't rule that out though.

Default It is yellow!

Hi Jadnhm...so I checked my windshield washer fluid and it is in fact yellow and not purple as I had thought.....so maybe our WWF line going to our rear wiper system is leaking? Let's hope that is all that it is. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast