Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    old thread but for reference...my 2005 with 94k miles on it started leaking this week. Sounds like a headache. Joy.
    Was the fluid ever replaced? If not, do it first before taking next steps.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

I refilled it this weekend, it took a good amount, probably about 350mL. Put a new crush washer on the fill hole. I currently have the plastic carrier piece out and it appears to be leaking from the half shaft seal. Just looking for instructions now on how to replace that seal.

My '05 is leaking from the differential according to my last mechanic (who I wasn't very fond of)
    I've yet to investigate myself further on account of the exhaust being in the way. Is there a way to get to the differential without removing/lowering the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post
    My '05 is leaking from the differential according to my last mechanic (who I wasn't very fond of)
    I've yet to investigate myself further on account of the exhaust being in the way. Is there a way to get to the differential without removing/lowering the exhaust?
    Keep in mind that if the diff is overfilled; that is, filled to the bottom of the filler hole AND without 75CC removed, the diff will puke out the extra fluid via the vent. Most mechanics don't know you have to remove that wee bit of fluid after a total fill to allow for expansion of the fluid. Its documented in VIDA but most of those folks don't read the procedures.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

" Is there a way to get to the differential without removing/lowering the exhaust?" don't fret over the exhaust, very easy to remove and refit as a complete unit, just a new flange gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    " Is there a way to get to the differential without removing/lowering the exhaust?" don't fret over the exhaust, very easy to remove and refit as a complete unit, just a new flange gasket.
    I changed the fluid in mine without removing (or even simply moving) anything. I don't remember encountering any issues, but I did follow advice posted here by other members; i.e., used a Mighty Vac with very narrow diameter flexible tubing.

That said, removing and resealing, if actually necessary, would require better access.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12