Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rmyin View Post
    This might have been a topic already discussed but I've noticed a lot recently that some wipers rest on the driver's side and some rest on the passenger side. I think it is suppose to rest on the passenger side since it "hides" better.

Did volvo install a batch of these with reversed linkage or something?
    I believe MY01-02 parked to the drivers side and later years parked to the passenger side. I'm sure some smart Volvo engineer thought that the change made sense despite the former being that way for many years in past.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold View Post
    If you decide to attack it again there is some stuff called PB blaster that is absolutely amazing at loosening stuck parts. You might want to give it a try.
    Thanks; if I run into the same problem again I'll go get some of that stuff.

As promised some photo's of the work done:

The whole unit of my '04 model:

Issue in getting it disassembled: turns out you can carefully pull the spray-nozzle (the actual jets that spray on the window, 1" piece of plastic) out, and this means you can pull the entire water-tube out of the axle (beware of the tiny o-ring that closes this inner-tube of brass (? at least brass colored) from the rest of the axle!!!))

Both sides of the PCB. Clearly visible is a Diode (black round electronic component that will only pass current one way, so will stop any current from flowing through the motor if someone would apply the 12V the wrong way around) and the thermal fuse (silver rectangle next to the diode) that makes the infamous ticking noise by switching off when too much current is passing through it (and automatically restoring itself once cooled off).
    Also visible is three contacts for the positioning circuitry (see pictures of backside white toothed wheel, this is where they attach) and two contacts for driving the motor.

White toothed wheel that is driven by the motor and turns a round motion into a back-and-forth-swinging-motion. Note the backside that features a simple system to 'tell' the assembly in which position the arm is. It's a very dumb system, it will supply current or not (probably to the interval-relais through the yellow wire), depending on whether the middle contact-sleeve is making a short to either the outside or the inner one. I heard a mention about the resting position of the arm not being the same: this makes it very plausible: the friction of the wiper to the window combined with the inertia of the whole system will determine the end-position. Not saying it is a bad system, but it is crude. And therefor simple, and therefor durable. But not nearly durable enough, or this thread wouldn't exist...

The three contacts that interface with the rear of the white toothed wheel.

A separate part that came out ofter thoroughly cleaning the o-ring groove: turns out this part makes up the o-ring groove (along with the entire housing of the assembly). Possibly I have tapped it in too hard, causing the o-ring to have too little room to properly settle, so as soon as I find a replacement o-ring, I will be taking this part out again, and next time will be mounting it with less force.

The actual o-ring (pardon the lousy quality of the pic... The measurements were 1.4mm thick and 12mm outside diameter, IIRC!!!!! Will try to get a replacement at work and will mention which size works best If I ever find out.

Couple of pics of the metal gears and the thing I always refer to as the "axle" (I hammered this out of the plastic housing: not the best of ideas, as I damaged the top a little):

Note the spring loaded ring on the pin that slides into the white toothed wheel:

Magnetic, so pulling it loose will feel like you're pulling apart some wiring... Also notice the bent tabs. If there is no need to take the motor apart: then DON'T!!!!! You will always damage the plastic that the tabs hook on to, so after doing this a few times, the plastic will be severely damaged!

The motor insides:

Also note the spring-ring and tab lying on the newspaper. Don't forget this when reassembling it (yes, I did forget... and had to bent the tabs loose for the second time...).
    What this does exactly is not quite clear to me: the tab moves outward once the wiper arm changes direction and the spring-ring keeps it from falling out (this means the bulk of the motor actually moves 1/8th of an inch as well I think). So even though the white toothed wheel goes round and round, something in the motor shifts during this reversal of wiper-arm direction. Possibly this is build in the absorb the direction change and the accompanying forces. The wiper arm goes back and forth, the white toothed wheel turns around, and the part of the motor also moves back and forth..... ????? It has to do with the first part of the movement: the motor is "pushing", the second part, it is "pulling".
    Just a wild guess...
    Last edited by r-p; 03-16-2009 at 05:14 AM.
    Need AWD info, so that's why I invade your forum with my V70 D5 AWD...

Hope you don't mind...

r-p,
    Thanks, very informative.
    Your photos and description will be invaluable should I need to disassemble mine if it binds up again. Did you find out what was causing your problem? Did you get everything back together OK, and is the wiper working as it should now?
    Last edited by dcandmc; 03-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Nice work R-P. I didn't get anywhere close to doing what you did but I did manage to screw something up because now the white wheel and the spring above it are constantly grinding. Even with the fuse pulled out of the fuse box. The only solution was to unplug the darn motor.

I'm about ready to call it quits so I was looking for replacement motor online... I'm wondering if these motor mechanism comes included in the motor. At this point I'm not sure what's causing the seizing so I don't mind investing 300$, if it's sure to resolve my problem!

Anyone know if part 8667188 includes the mechanical mechanisms that make the arm move?

Thanks!

According to VADIS there is no other part number associated with that component.

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc View Post
    (1)Did you find out what was causing your problem? (2)Did you get everything back together OK, (3)and is the wiper working as it should now?
    (1)No, not with 100% certainty. Still think it is the 'axle'.
    (2)Yes, everything is back together.
    (3)No...it's still not working as it should. It did one full swipe on a wet window (long live the supersoaker) and then it did only a quarter the next swipe...
    I will be replacing the o-ring and mounting the thing above it more carefully. If that doesn't work, I will be checking the automatic thermal fuse to see if thats still according to specs... I ran the motor with an external powersuppy, and it consumed some 8 amperes and didn't switch off yet, so I doubt that is the problem. (at that time I didn't know the function of the switch yet, or I would have investigated then and there)
    Need AWD info, so that's why I invade your forum with my V70 D5 AWD...

Hope you don't mind...

Just called Volvo- 328$ for the motor.

I wonder how much a squeegie kid would charge to tag along and clean my rear window on demand?

Quote Originally Posted by WALL-E View Post
    Just called Volvo- 328$ for the motor.

I wonder how much a squeegie kid would charge to tag along and clean my rear window on demand?
    Time to use the Internet to your advantage. MySwedishParts.com has it listed for $229 USD.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thanks Bill-R. Unfortunately the CDN $'s taken a bit of a hit so after exchange rate and paying the pirates at the border (brokerage, duties and taxes) I'm looking at the same price. I might try local recyclers first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast