Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steering swings to full stop, not to center?? (07)

So, I was wondering if this where a Cross Country thing, or just a special treat for my own car.

At slow speed, i.e., maneuvering in a parking lot, departing from a stop and turning (right, as that is sharpest) at an intersection, or just doing a slow figure eight in a parking lot, as you get about 3/4 of the way to the full turn in the steering wheel (left or right) the steering wants to drag the wheel all the way to the full turn stop position, instead of wanting to return to center (where I thought all cars were required to go by design). For obvious reasons, I haven't turned the steering wheel that hard at high speed to test if it happens then too.

Seems like in an instance of spin/slide recovery, or extreme emergency maneuvering where correction/overcorrection is, or can be an issue, you would be fighting with the cars inherent desire to get completely out of control. So, is this common? Is there a failed part on my car? Is this just an AWD thing with the Volvo? You do not have to be accelerating to do this, it is just more pronounced. I can deal with it, but I can see how somebody that doesn't know it happens, could end up turning into a parked car, or a post while maneuvering in a parking garage, because with all the twists and tight turns, you feel it a lot.

If I where to be at a stop in a wide open parking lot, turn the wheel all the way to the stop, then start driving with my hands off the wheel, the car would stay in a tight circle. So not a good feature. This isn't a new thing or a change. Just something I noticed a while after purchase. I've just assumed it is a XC thing, and am just now remembering to ask around. Especially since I needed to find out about windshield wipers anyways. (followed a different thread)

Thanks

Seems to be normal. My '07 does that and has since I got it with 17k miles on it. There has been some other discussion and it seems to be a common trait.

Wonder how they got that one past the NHTSA for approval when the model first came out? Strange. I always assumed that there were safety standards that had to be met before a production line could be approved for sale in the US. That is a pretty unsafe characteristic. Meh, I like pretty much everything else about the car. Actually, I really very much like my car.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,
    Dennis

Had this same problem with my 02. replaced the lower control arms/w bushings and got the front end aligned (twice) and the situation is all gone. the 2nd front end tech said the toe was set at almost 1 inch in, front and rear. once that was resolved, it now drives like a normal car.

Barney

That is interesting. You didn't have any abnormal tire wear? My tire wear is fine, and I don't feel anything out of whack with the steering, but just that issue. It doesn't take much of an alignment problem to create abnormal wear patterns, and an inch is huge. Interesting.

Past 75% of steering at low speed is irrelevant on the road. Turn your wheel that much at high speed and you would roll any car. Even in a slide, folks rarely get close to full lock, unless they're overcontrolling...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Not really a good excuse.

Mine does this too. Tight low speed manuevers, like parking lot driving, and the steering self-powers itself over to the stops. Especially if I apply a bit of throttle.

Thanks Fox. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to have the front end serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
    Mine does this too. Tight low speed manuevers, like parking lot driving, and the steering self-powers itself over to the stops. Especially if I apply a bit of throttle.
    Yup..Same here, and I JUST got an alignment and recently had the control arm bushings and inner tie rods replaced by the dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast