Default DTSC and spin control findings

Now that I have had ample opportunity to run the XC in the snow, with excellent snow tires, I've determined that I absolutely, positively, 100% recommend cars with DTSC for snow driving. Here's why:

In town, in deep snow I like to turn spin control off. The system doesn't shut off completely but it's barely active. You can get a "nice" spin out of the wheels and actually make your way across a slippery, icy intersection. Also you can throttle steer the rear end a little, teeny, tiny bit...which is fun and useful. With DTSC on the spin control will occasionally just shut me down mid-turn, I'm not a fan of that.

On parkways, boulevards, twisty canyon/mt roads or freeways I leave it on. This car REALLY likes to "push" and has a tendency want to plow straight ahead through snowy curves. That said with the heft and high center of gravity I could see this thing wanting to come around REAL fast if an inexperienced snow driver started cranking the wheel in push/plow situation. Like I said, I have good snow tires but I still have seen the DTSC light blink a few times while I'm driving at faster speeds. The nice thing about that is the car helps keep you on track and you get a little visual indicator when your reaching the limits of traction. I grew up in a snowy climate and I've always been one to want to get out and play when it snows. I go out when everyone else likes to stay in, as such I have a whole lot of snow driving experience and I don't get afraid of a little drifting, slipping and sliding here and there. It's all part of the process, especially when I have good predictable tires on. I've always been alert and aware of how the car is interacting with the road but having the little visual is nice.

So, I'm really glad I found a car with DTSC and defeatable spin control. Now I just wish I could throttle steer via the rear wheels a little easier but with the AWD system we have, that's asking a lot. Like I said, with spin control off you can kind of do it but only after the front has completely lost connection so it's more of a 4 wheel drift.

Makes me miss my old Quantum Syncro (early quattro system).

I agree with you. Mine is NOT equiped with DSTC (2005) and that's bad. Of course, I get that funny rear end steer like my old 740 which is fun and great, but at med-high speed on some roads, I'd feel better with DSTC.

My '07 has it, and I'm glad I was able to find an '07 (DTSC is standard on MY07

We've only gotten one snowstorm this winter so far, and it was only about 3". I was out in it before the plows, and the road was covered with a slick, slushy mix of snow. The AWD worked great, and I had no need to turn off spin control. However, being as I have all seasons and not dedicated snows, like you said,the front end DID start to push around one tight corner. The light on the dash flashed, and with no further imput from me, the car got itself sorted and the front regained grip. I was impressed.

I plan only turning it off when I'm in deep snow and need the wheelspin, otherwise it will stay on.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series