Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can't unlock gas cap door

I have a 2001 Volvo XC70 - can't get gas cap door opened. Lock will not release. Fuses OK. Locked and unlocked doors with key and key fob - filler door still locked. All doors and tailgate lock and unlock OK. Pulled right rear interior panel off - got hand on lock mechanism but black plastic latch will not move or slide back. Wire connection on lock mechanism seems OK.

How can I get the door open ? The car needs gas and my wife is planning on going out of town tomorrow with kids. I know a crow bar will ultimately work, but will do alot of damage !!!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!!!

I know there is an emergency release lever but i don't know where it is. Sorry, but i just wanted to make sure you wouldn't crowbar it lol

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
    I know there is an emergency release lever but i don't know where it is. Sorry, but i just wanted to make sure you wouldn't crowbar it lol
    That must be a well kept secret, never heard about it.
    If it is there, I would certainly like to know where
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I found this in my MY04 owner's manual:
    NOTE: If the fuel filler door does not unlock after the button has been pressed, drive the car at a speed
    of at least 5 mph (8 km/h), stop the car, and press the button again.
    Vehicles I have owned in the past (no Volvos) always had a manual emergency release for the filler door.

You don't mention where you are but in the past I have had trouble with frozen fuel doors after a combination of a carwash and freezing temperatures.
    Just a thought.
    Colin
    Kinuso, Alberta
    Canada
    2004 XC70 25T, Ruby Red
    2002 V40 (Wife's)
    2001 Nissan X-terra
    2006 Suzuki V-Strom

This is a well discussed problem. Look here for four pages of discussion and two solutions.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...light=gas+door

One solution involves pressing of the car next to the door and unlocking the car with the remote and the other is getting to the back of the door and pressing the plunger in.

Good luck.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Okay, maybe I am a liar... I thought you could just reach around and push the plunger out?

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
    Okay, maybe I am a liar... I thought you could just reach around and push the plunger out?
    I had sincerely hoped you were right about the emergency release
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I had this problem last year, and after trying all the various fixes on this site, I took off the inner panel and still could not retract the plunger. I had to cut the plunger to remove the mechanism, and upon disassembly, found that a tiny plastic gear tooth had broken off and jammed up the mechanism.

I put a piece of electrical tape with a slit in it over the hole in the body to minimize water entry and to hold onto the filler door tab. In 10 months the door has never come open.

Overly complicated design.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Default Gas filler door update

Thanks for all the responses. As I mentioned, I could not move the plunger rod back with my fingers. So I removed the outer interior panel - one bolt at seat belt retractor. Then removed inner panel.

I tapped lock actuator housing with screwdriver handle while hitting unlock button on remote and BINGO it unlocked. I removed both screws next to gas cap under filler door and removed actuator/bracket.

After removing actuator from bracket, I took 3 screws off actuator housing and exposed motor and gear/rod assembly. Very simple stuff (looks like stuff I made with my Erector set 40 years ago - and Volvo gets $100). Everything looked good. But for good measure I relubed all gears and shafts with WD40 and lithium grease.

Reinstalled everything and it all works. There was no cable or magic release button. But I was able to fix it with simple tools in had it done in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, I am sure many people have had to go to dealer for emergency repair. Just another example of overengineering that the new Volvos fall victim to. I wish they would simplify these cars.

Here's a diagram of the part from www.alldatadiy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast