Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRS codes

Default SRS codes

Dealer couldn't turn off my SRS codes today so need to find the fault. Anyone know what SRS0014 and SRS001C codes are?

SRS light came on when these 2 things were happening

1. I over tightened a leaky PS pump pressure side connection and snapped the o-ring. So the PS fluid pretty much leaked out... right over the top of the alternator. I've read that a bad charging system can set off SRS light. It was during this drive cycle when this occurred that the SRS light came on. I then replaced the o-ring, tightened properly and haven't had any other problems (other than SRS light on and dealer can't turn off). No low battery, dim or varying headlight etc... Haven't measured my charging system yet.

2. Normally my car but wife drove it on this drive cycle when the light came on. I'm sure she moved the seat so maybe something in the SIPS or seat air bag connection wire under the seat got loosened...

If anyone had the codes, surely it will reveal one of these 2 culprits?
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Default Found all the Volvo DTC codes

Cool reference for anyone looking to find the meaning of a code

http://www.bsr.se/man_diagnos_uk.pdf

This looks like the best OBDII tool for our Volvos as it reads all the codes and can reset them. Generic OBDII code readers can't get the Volvo specific codes (lots of them)

Looks like under $200 and I'm buying one

So SRS-0012 and SRS-001C is stage one and stage 2 of the driver side air bag. I had pulled my steering wheel to recenter it after installing my steering rack few weeks before the SRS light lit. From what I read, it is probably the contact reel. Off to research that now If anyone has directions on removal + installation, please share. Thanks.
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

The code readers of the kind you refer to in the link are fine, but limited. For instance, when DTC codes are set,
    a snapshot of a number of important parameters is saved for later analysis (freeze frame).
    Such things can be important for diagnostic purposes. IMHO, an OBD connecting device with
    software to run on a laptop PC is far better and can still be affordable.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default PPC Diagnostic System

Howard, I purchased the Volvo PPC diag system here.

http://www.alpha-bid.com/product230.html

It does read codes from all the modules, clears DTCs and resets service reminder. It helped me track down a problem with my door lock and key remotes not working so it's already paid for itself. Doesn't take long when compared to the cost of going to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The code readers of the kind you refer to in the link are fine, but limited. For instance, when DTC codes are set,
    a snapshot of a number of important parameters is saved for later analysis (freeze frame).
    Such things can be important for diagnostic purposes. IMHO, an OBD connecting device with
    software to run on a laptop PC is far better and can still be affordable.
    Willy
    Good point Willy. I have an Auterra PC based OBDII reader and it does indeed do some nifty things. I can graph all kinds of engine performance parameters and watch how they change over time. I can imagine how it would be useful to diagnose a rough running engine etc... I think it can retrieve freeze frame as well... Not sure at the moment.

But in the 3+ years I've owned it, I haven't had to do that kind of debugging on both of my P2s. And the Auterra doesn't read the Volvo specific codes.

Do you know of a PC based OBDII reader that can read the Volvo codes? I haven't heard of one yet.

Isn't it so that the codes can be read by any scan tool, but that the meaning of the code will not be given by all tools?
    If so, you would only need a list to translate the codes.
    the reason I have a PC based tool is that it can communicate with all the OBDII flavors and since I have more than one
    vehicle (one European and one Japanese), one tool is all I need.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Lee-Bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVolvo View Post
    Howard, I purchased the Volvo PPC diag system here.

http://www.alpha-bid.com/product230.html

It does read codes from all the modules, clears DTCs and resets service reminder. It helped me track down a problem with my door lock and key remotes not working so it's already paid for itself. Doesn't take long when compared to the cost of going to the dealer.
    I wonder - what was the issue with your doors/remotes, and did the system produce codes for that? I've got remote problems with my 01 XC, but they don't seem to be like any of the ones mentioned elsewhere around here; mine appparently died after a cold night in Ohio.

I think I need one of these gadgets; I could already have saved 85 bucks if I'd had it when the climate control died after I messed with the battery.

Lee

I believe the code I was getting was CEM 6A01, which indicates the driver side rear door is unlocked. There is a check after locking the doors and the rear door didn't always lock correctly. After knowing what the code meant I kept an eye on the door locking and I noticed one time after the door didn't lock correctly the key remote immediately stop working. It was an intermittent type problem. Since replacing the rear door lock assembly the key remotes have worked fine.

Default Contact Reel

An update for those who run into this in the future.

Can't just unbolt your steering wheel and recenter it if it isn't. I made this mistake and turn it 90 degrees after doing my steering rack and eventually the contact reel broke.

The 2 SRS codes pointed to the signals to the stage 1 and stage 2 steering wheel airbag being high resistance (meaning an open circuit). Sure enough when I pulled the contact reel and measured for continuity, it was open.

Here is the contact reel for future reference. Orange plug goes to the SRS control module (4 wires). Purple and the green plug (with the orange wire) is the stage 1 and 2 plugs to the airbag. I'm guessing the other green plug is for radio+cruise control. This contact reel is for none DSTC. A different contact reel is necessary for DSTC.

Anyway, if you ever need to recenter a tilted steering wheel. Consult VADIS and it is necessary to lock and/or reset the contact reel so it doesn't get ruined.

BTW, the BSR PPC code reader/eraser works great. Plugged into wife's 01 V70XC and found a couple of things I didn't even know was broken. Ability to read Volvo specific codes and reset it was great to avoid having to visit the dealer when chasing down these problems.

Lee-Bob Guest

Howard and First, thanks for the input.

I was looking for something new to spend money on at IPD, and ran across this - I can't tell from the description if it would be a good choice or not. Probably is better, since I already ordered a unit from BSR:

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-...-127-381-2573/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast