Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2004 Transmission Question (Manual Shift Mode Behavior)

Normally when you are in manual shift mode and come to a stop at a light (or whatever reason) the transmission would automatically return to first gear.

For the last few weeks, I have noticed that this is no longer the case on my car. In manual mode if I was in, say, 4th gear and I come to a stop the car stays in 4th gear and does not downshift back to 1st. I have to manually cycle the gears down or return it to auto mode. This is the same for all gears when in manual mode.

The transmission behaves correctly in auto mode. All gear shifts are smooth in both modes with no hangs, slams or stutters.

Any ideas?

That's weird!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Does the tranny actually stick in 4, or is it just the display? Seems like it would stall out- does it? Or does it seem to go into neutral? Does it seem like you're having any weird torque converter issues? So many questions! Maybe try to describe how it behaves after cruising when you come to a stop, then try to take off again without trying to shift (down, up or otherwise).
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

It definitely is still in 4th gear as the display shows. It does not stall (there's a lot of torque in our engines) it's just not very good for the transmission to be in anything other than 1st or 2nd from a dead stop.

City driving, highway driving, it is all the same in manual mode, it will stay in whatever gear you were driving in when you come to a stop instead of going back to 1st. Auto mode is completely normal.

Are you nuts?
    They ALL go back to 1st (in manual mode) after you stop and what his is doing is NOT normal

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I might very well be nuts, but I was wondering if it was making any weird straining/torque converter noises when he was stopped. Clearly there is something wrong, but in the interest of troubleshooting, I thought it might be nice to know what the actual symptoms were other than "stuck in 4rth".

As for the problem at hand, I would say this must be some sort of software glitch, as Geartronic transmissions are supposed to function no differently from the automatic mode when coming to a stop (sorry for stating the obvious). It's clearly receiving the correct input to go into Geartronic mode, but it's not processing the engine input signals correctly. See if there are any codes being thrown- It sounds like this is a TCM/software issue. In the meantime, no Geartronic for you!
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

This I can't answer, I have no idea how that function works, if it's software or hardware, but whatever... yours is not working properly.
    Is this doing damage, that too I have no idea.

I'll try to find out some info for you when I go over to my dealer later

According to VIDA, in Geartronic mode, the dash display for gear selected is determined by the circuit board that is housed in the gear selector panel. That is, the panel on the console with the PRND and +/-, right?.

Upon installation of the board, VIDA has a procedure for checking correctness of the display versus the selector state. It reads "Ensure that the letters and/or digits on the display on the combined instrument panel correspond to the shift positions on the top panel." Pretty straight forward and there is no adjustment, etc. Relatively simple R&R for the most part.

So since your tranny seems to be operating properly except for the display, my bet is a bad board. And just like many things Volvo, according to VIDA, you have to buy the whole panel (PN 9463547, 8636212, 30650001, or 8699431 depending on chassis number and interior colour) to get the board. Eire Vo-Vo maybe?

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Not if it's ACTUALLY stuck in gear, as he states. But that's very interesting info, Bill!

It does seem like something terrible would happen or there would be a bad BAD sound from the transmission/torque converter if the car was running at a full stop and it was ACTUALLY engaged in 3rd, 4rth or 5th gear! Hence, my "captain obvious" questions.

None the less, as JRL points out; it's all merely speculation until some educated diagnostics are done. Interesting!
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

Quote Originally Posted by guyeye View Post
    Not if it's ACTUALLY stuck in gear, as he states. But that's very interesting info, Bill!

It does seem like something terrible would happen or there would be a bad BAD sound from the transmission/torque converter if the car was running at a full stop and it was ACTUALLY engaged in 3rd, 4rth or 5th gear! Hence, my "captain obvious" questions.

None the less, as JRL points out; it's all merely speculation until some educated diagnostics are done. Interesting!
    Yeah, the fact that he doesn't stall seems to me to indicate that he isn't stuck in 4th. These motors have a fair amount of torque but starting off in 4th should be pretty obvious. Try winter mode and you'll see what I mean. 0-60 in the same day sort of acceleration and that's in 3rd. Plus he doesn't indicate that an CEL is coming up which it should. But in any case, a VIDA/DICE hookup should say something and should be the next step rather than trying to guess.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast