Default Timing Belt at 100,000 KM

Hi,

My MY04 was in for some odd clunk in steering, when the car is cold and turning to right at park and doing it fast, once you release the steering it cluncks...

Anyway the mechanic called me and said the rack and pinion has to be repaired!!! it seemd they will send it somewhere to change the seals etc...

Any idea or exprience on this?

He also said the water pump started leaking and all these will be covered under extended warranty but if i would like to change the timing belt, i have to pay for the belt and half an hour labor, i agreed, it would be around 100 CAN for timing belt and labor.

What do you think? was it a good thing to do or...

Kami

Default Rebuilt steering rack

Sounds like you have a leaky steering rack if they have to replace the seals.

I recently replaced my 01 V70 T5's steering rack with a rebuilt unit. Every online site I found sold the rebuilt unit from CVU. Here is the company and where I shipped my exchanged core to.

http://www.cvunlimited.com/

Volvo no longer manufactured the exact rack that fit my car. Rather, Volvo sold a new rack with some adaptation pipes which ran around $1000 before labor as I recall. A rebuilt rack from CVU was $325 with core exchange.

I did call a reputable Volvo independent near me and they said they don't put rebuilt racks in because too many that came back with problems. However, mine has worked perfectly.

One good outcome in this is that you will probably get new inner tie rods so your steering should be crisper. I think a inner tie rod replacement job is like $300+.

Hope this helps.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

O yeah, if they're doing the water pump, its a good time to do the timing belt for sure even if a bit early. Rebuilt racks can be just fine. I have a rebuilt rack in my Alfa from Jorgen Auto in Ann Arbor Michigan. They have a good rep on the Alfa forum and I would recommend them. http://www.jorgenauto.com/ They have prices on their website. Disappointing to be needing a new rack already though.
    Charles
    '04 Volvo XC70
    '91 Alfa Romeo 164L
    '89 Volvo 244
    Charles