Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dead CEM HELP !!

I've posted this on other forums and thought I would try my luck here.My friends 2001 v70xc has numerous electrical problems.No power at driver info module when key is turned on,no power windows or lock controls.engine cranks but will not start.We reset all body control modules.It appears the Central Electronics Module is not powered up.I was told that by turning on the hazard switch and operateing a rear window with a rear window door switch that the window should work indicating power at the CEM,it didn't work.Checked ignition switch and it is good.checked for power at CEM pin a5.no power at this point(power in to CEM) Any thoughts?

i am sure you have checked all fuses and relays, 3 places in the car if it is the same as my04...

Try checking your battery first.
    A low battery can cause all sorts of problems.
    LOW, not dead, just low.

Default Dead CEM

Thanks for replys.All the fuses are good .If you can believe it ,all the trouble started when my friends wife was driving the car,she put the window down then the wipers stopped working,the window would not go back up.she drove the car home then the next day the car would not start,and every thing was dead except the headlights.Not sure about the batt volts,assume they were good ,worth a shot.

Default dead cem

Yes CEMs do go bad.All power inputs ckd out good.multiple resets of cabin multiplexs no help.brought to dealer and BAM! bad CEM new one fixed all problems.Could this be another case of poor solder joints?

Default How much?

Don't want to be nosy, but I've been told my CEM might be going, too.....can you give me a ballpark on how much it was to have replaced?
    Mitchgat
    '03 Silver XC 58k

CEM is part of the long term emissions warranty. On my '04 it is for 8 years and 80K miles. Worth checking into. Read your warranty booklet to verify, not sure if it is different year to year.

Default Dead CEM

The cost was $1100.0 that included parts,labor,and software download.I wouldn,t replace it unless it has a total failure and can be confirmed as the problem,there a several cabin multiplex units that control grouped and individual componants that could be the cause of smaller problems.also there is a reset procedure for the cabin "muxs" that involves locating,disconnecting the units ,disconnecting the battery,and then reconnecting everything back up in a specific order that can clear most problems with the cabin.

In the wire diagram I have there are also heavy duty type fuses that protect groups of removable type fuses. These heavy duty power rail type fuses appear to be under the engine compartment fuse box. They look like fuseable metal strips. Have you check these fuses? It looks like fuses 11A-2 and 11A-4 supply power to the groups of fuses that include the two CEM fuses, 11C/22 and 11C/32. I would check these fuses and everything about the power delivery in this area. My wiring diagram is for a 2002 V70 so the fuse numbers may not be identical but the general layout should be very similar.

How do I check the fuses on the bottom side of the fuse box in the engine compartment?
    I have removed the screws on the top but I don't want to force the top up to find the fuses you were relating to. My whole front pass door is dead so a fuse is most likely. Thanks Ric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast