Cool Chains for XC 90

Does anyone have any comment about the Volvo tire chains for the 05 2.5T XC 90 I need to have a set of chains in the car when traveling over some of the passes? I have seen the chains listed as a Volvo accessory, but over $ 200 for a set of change seam a lot of money. What do I get for that price? Are they special? Are they easy to put on for my wife?

That price sounds about right.
    Real chains are never easy to put on, especially considering the weather conditions when you need them.
    Make sure whatever you get is ok'd by volvo or you may cause damage and they won't do anything about it.
    You might want to consider z chains which are much easier than real chains.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Spiders might be a good alternative for you.

They are expensive but very easy to mount.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

Quote Originally Posted by acptcpak
    Does anyone have any comment about the Volvo tire chains for the 05 2.5T XC 90 I need to have a set of chains in the car when traveling over some of the passes? I have seen the chains listed as a Volvo accessory, but over $ 200 for a set of change seam a lot of money. What do I get for that price? Are they special? Are they easy to put on for my wife?
    They are good quality chains with a nice carrying pouch. They have a side cable which makes installation and little easier than plain chains but the key is still practice, practice. Low-profile cable chains like the Z-Chains will work, too, and are somewhat less expensive and lighter although not as effective as link chains IMO.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Volvo chains are easy to fit.And, like everything in a Volvo, a women can use it .
    As many other chains, they have -inside the wheel- a steel cable with quick-snap fixation. On the Volvo make, this steel cable is thinner.
    My old "Range rover" chains have a thicker cable and don't fit the XC90, because there is very little space between the inner side of the tyre and the suspension.

Default Thule chains?

This might already be in the thread, if so, I missed it. Anybody know if Thule chains are OK? I have a 2007 XC-90 (FWD). The Volvo chains are over $300, but the Thule chains, which look nearly identical as far as I can tell, are $180 at an off-road store out here (Rack n Road). If I can save $120 I'm all for it . BTW, my tires are 235/65 R17, and these are the correct size Thule chain for that wheel.

Private replies also ok: [email protected]
    Last edited by parry; 01-08-2009 at 12:44 PM.

You are required to carry chains, BUT with a 4wd or AWD you do not have to
    install them. I used to carry a set of chains for a Chevy Luv in my F350. When they
    asked if I had chains I would show them the bag and they would let me pass. I still
    carry them when going towards snow areas, never had an issue.

That has been my findings...
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005