Unhappy Horrible vibration after only 2 1/2 weeks owning a '99 Volvo v70xc!!!

I'm not a first time Volvo owner, so I should have known better . My first was a '95 950 that blew a transmission 4 months into ownership. This time fell for the AWD and the low purchase price....$2,000. There is 170,000 miles on the car and absolutely no service records to be found. The dealer "checked" the car over thoroughly before releasing it to me 2 weeks ago Friday. We took our first road trip this weekend covering only 300 miles round trip. In that distance the car started vibrating wildly with an occasional metal sounding rattle . I took it back today to the dealership who think it may be the dreaded driveshaft. There were no indications of this problem when I drove the car intially and nothing up until this weekend. I am wondering if this may be the only diagnosis available...is there anything that could cause this that may be less expensive than replacing the entire driveshaft assembly...suggestions?

Maybe a driveshaft AND a bevel gear!
    Bad dviveshafts can make a ton of vibration but I've never heard metal noises
    when they go bad, (I could be wrong here).

Easy to find out, disconnect it.
    It the noises and shakes go away it's "only" the driveshaft.
    I mean what do expect for two grand and a ton of miles?

Of course there can be other things, an axle perhaps, but the odds are that it's either the drive (prop) shaft or the bevel gear

I was HOPING for smooth sailing but should have EXPECTED problems @ that price and mileage point. I'll check with the mechanic in the morning to see if he looked @ the bevel gear. Could driving on it for the 300 miles have damaged things further or was it already shot from the 1st vibration? Can I drive with the shaft disconnected for an extended period of time?