Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Replacement Volvo battery

Got a replacement battery at the dealership. It was about the same price or perhaps a little less than $130-140 for Interstate's MTP-H6, which is an exact fit, I believe.

Now, the battery I got has a long blue Volvo label (Volvo, part numbers, Made in Germany) on top of square white label (not sure what it says, probably has the name of actual manufacturer).

Next to the "layered labels" there is a stamp with digits (either date or serial number or both, I did not look too close...) and this: "Made in Mexico"

My take is, it's too expensive to haul OEM batteries from Europe, so to remain competitive in that area and to offer batteries at reasonable prices, Volvo buys them from someone here, perhaps even Interstate, labels them as their own, and sells them.

Today I was at Les Schwab (a West/Northwest tire dealer chain) getting my tires rotated and asked about batteries for the XC70. The clerk looked it up and said they could get them in two days for $100. On the way home I stopped at Kragens Auto Parts and they had four batteries on their shelf that were for the XC and had vents for $90 each. The Kragen batteries were 84-48, where the 84 refers to the months guarantee and the 48 is the group. I haven't tried to install them so I don't know if they are an exact fit. It is some comfort that in my little isolated town there are sources other that traveling 100 miles to the dealer.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12