Default The value of performing your own maintenance

Just in case anyone is debating the value of changing your own oil or carrying out your own repairs - read on.

Based on forum articles I decided to change oil and flush the transmission myself on my XC70 and XC90. The XC70 went fairly well, although the oil filter cover was obviously overtorqued by the dealership (note: it's a good idea to have an 86mm x 16pt oil filter wrench BEFORE you drain the oil).

The XC90 had a couple of surprises (in addition to an overtorqued oil filter cover). After I removed the oil filter, I cleaned out the housing on the engine, but could not clean up a spot at the top of the output tube. On closer inspection, it looked like a piece of something. After removing the object with a screwdriver, it appeared to be a 1/8" thick round piece of filter material that was partially blocking the output port! I have no idea how something like that could get up there, or how long it was up there, but it must have been a cutout from the filter manufacturing process. I'm estimating that the debris was reducing the port area by 1/4 to 1/2, I'm hoping that the reduced oil flow didn't damage the engine.

As I was replacing the drain plug, I wiped the angle gear cover, since it was weeping. I just happened to notice that the bottom two bolts of the angle gear housing (the big ones that bolt it to the transmission) were sticking out about an inch each. They were covered in grease, so they've probably been like that a while. As I tightened the bolts, I noticed that the two upper bolts were also loose, so I tightened those. I felt around and found a fifth loose bolt right at the top of the housing! I can't explain how that happened, or how I didn't notice this while driving, but I suspect that some work was performed at some time, and the mechanic neglected to tighten the bolts.

So, after numerous oil changes and service appointments, the dealer techs didn't catch either issue that I found simply by taking the time out to change oil. The contributors to these forums are very supportive and knowledgeable, and I encourage anyone who has the means to service their own vehicles. I changed the timing belt and water pump on my XC70 without issue thanks to the articles here (and saved $700).

I'm sure most people on this forum have found interesting things post-dealership; please post some to encourage more people to work on their own vehicles.

Personally, I think if you have some clue on how to turn a wrench and do some research on procedures ahead of time... You will be more than most shops. I think I only find a good shop once in a blue moon and usually an indy where their repeat business is mainly from repairs.

Here is a brief list of what shops have done wrong to my Volvo when I've had it in

- Front control arm bushing installed backwards or 180 degrees off and rear bushing extending unevenly out of the control arm (at an bad indy that seems to shifting their business due to lack of repeat customers)
    - Rear brake caliper holder out of spec and jams the pads. Tech never said anything (at dealer service)
    - Wheel not installed flushed to hub on a tire rotation (Sears)

And then there was the time 20 years ago my new white VW was in the shop for one month at the dealer getting a faulty designed transmission fixed. Metal dust particles settled and bonded my paint which had to be taken off by rubbing compound removing my clear coat. Fixed manual transmission shifted harsh until an indy squeeze in some special lubricant. They also dropped my hood while having the top engine cross bar still in. They said nothing and I had to point out the little dent to them myself to get it fixed.

So I agree, service quality differ by a huge range. If you can fix it yourself and have knowledge, you are better off in general. If you can't, find a good indy and stick with them
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

LOL Don't get me started on this topic again!

I just changed my cabin air filter. My XC70 has IAQS (supposedly!), but guess which air filter element had been installed by the dealer during the "free" factory service period?

No, not the $50 IAQS activated charcoal filter. Instead they used the ~$15 non-IAQS paper filter. Wonder which filter Volvo reimburses the dealer for? Or maybe they don't reimburse at all, and the dealers cover all of the free service out of pocket. Either way, it appears there is little incentive to prevent cheating.

The moral of the story is you never really know what you get if you don't do it yourself.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 11-20-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Ok, my XC90 supposedly has IAQS, but I don't see (or smell as the case may be) any difference between that and the non-IAQS in my XC70. Is the system dependent on an activated charcoal filter? I'll have to check that as well!

I'm beginning to think that Volvo dealerships can be just as crooked (if not more so) than the 'stereotypical' shady repair shop as seen on 60 Minutes - the Volvo shop just has VADIS and white coats! It is up to you to ensure that your car is taken care of, lasts longer, and runs better than both Volvo and the dealerships want it to.

I agree, there is a lot to save doing your own maintenance, and a lot of satisfaction. I also do agree that you only know for sure if you do it yourself. BUT!!!, there are also a lot of people who should't touch a car. Coming from families on my and wifes side that are all mechanics, we've seen them all. All that is very unsafe repairs and "patch" jobs. My only advice is, if you are the least bit unsure of what you are doing (this really applies to safety items, brakes , suspension) let a professional do it. I am all for learning and saving don't get me wrong, be especially sure that you know what you are doing and work safely!!!