Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Replacement battery brands

After 5 1/2 years it is time to replace the battery. Obviously I can go to the dealer and get an exact replacement. What other brands have any of you found and what stores carry them? Are they exact replacements, vent and all?
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Paraphrasing what I wrote here a few weeks ago.

Both Interstate and Autozone market exact replacements with a vent tube port. Both cost considerably more than the Volvo branded replacement battery, but both also provide a significantly longer warranty.

Based on my reading, I believe they are all made by Johnson Controls and possibly (likely?) are identical internally. I believe that the added cost of the aftermarket brands is essentially insurance premium to cover the longer warranty, so I went with the lower priced Volvo battery from the dealer. Still a premum price for a battery of this size and capacity, but I found that there is no better deal unless you elect to forgo the vent tube.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

How critical is the vent tube? Since you are dealing with a sealed battery does enough hydrogen get vented from the battery to pose a threat?
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Interstate is CHEAPER than a Volvo battery by about 20 bucks
    Vent tube should be there depending on what Volvo and where the battery is.
    P2 cars, a necessity

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    P2 cars, a necessity
    I think it all depends on what the local retailer wants to charge for the battery.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/e...%7C%7CRank%7C1

P2 cars, a necessity
    Well, going from the price range quoted on the Interstate web site ($140.95 - $186.95), Interstate is not cheaper - by a long shot. That is the info I am going on. I guess its possible that some Interstate dealers would sell at a considerable discount. I did not call any to check. The Volvo dealer price was about $112 and they did give me 10% off with a coupon.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 11-19-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,

AT THE DEALER
    (for me)
    Interstate, about $128, Volvo battery $150
    I haven't seen a Volvo battery priced at $112 for 6 years!

Smile

AT THE DEALER
    (for me)
    Interstate, about $128, Volvo battery $150
    I haven't seen a Volvo battery priced at $112 for 6 years!
    Interesting. I can scan my receipt, if you don't feel like taking my word for it.

One variable affecting over the counter price may be shipping costs. A 46 lb item can't be cheap to ship these days, and there are probably special precautions taken because of the acid. So the further from the factory likely the higher the price to the end customer. That may explain some of the difference on the Volvo battery, otherwise go figure(?) because less than two months ago I paid just $96.04 with the coupon - looks like they actually gave me nearly 15% off as the receipt says list price is $112.05. P/N 30772221-5 (plus $12 refundable core price).

Sounds like I should have called around for pricing on the Interstate. Based on your comparison it may also have been cheaper here. Autozone wanted $140 something, though, so I figured the Interstate would be about the same based on the price info on their web site.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 11-19-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh, I believe you but I would like to see the receipt...so I can scan it, print it and shove it into my parts manager's face and see what he says