Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    You need this kit. I hear the pulley can seize and is the more common failure point than a broken belt.

Here is fcpgroton's sale on ebay for cheap. It doesn't say for 01 XC70 but look at the following fcp website link. Parts are identical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...es#ht_3674wt_0

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/203
    -------------------
    Any idea where FCP came up with an 80k mile change interval for the post-mid-98 cars? I thought it had jumped from 70k to 105k, and have never seen an 80k reference except in the FCP write-up. Note that the same write-up in the supplied link says new interval is only for cars wirh mechanical tensioner and direct ignition (5 coils) with the engine serial number of the changeover suplied. We just bought a '98 V70M with a later series engine number that clearly has the single coil system as I believe that all '98 70's do - point is that there may be at least one or two errors in the FCP info in that link.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

Quote Originally Posted by mbsl98 View Post
    -------------------
    Any idea where FCP came up with an 80k mile change interval for the post-mid-98 cars? I thought it had jumped from 70k to 105k, and have never seen an 80k reference except in the FCP write-up.
    You should ask fcpgroton but I'm guessing they made it up. Given timing belt failure is a high damage event on these interference engines, people change them depending on varying degree of personal paranoia. I've read some Volvo techs change them prior to 105k because of seeing some cracks on the belt and lubrication leaks on the pulleys.

Certainly, I'm sure there are at least some cases of timing belt/pulley failures under 105k miles. For those people that had failure, they probably wished they had done it earlier.

At 105k, I'd change them
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I don't give a crap what it says, they made a misprint that year
    Ask your service manager, better yet ask Volvo. There is NO TIMING BELT CHANGE AT 120K on any Volvo and you're playing with fire and a blown engine!
    So I asked Volvo, and I've pasted below a series of email exchanges that I had with Betty at "Volvo Customer Care." If there is a misprint over five years of Volvo maintenance schedules, the good folks at Volvo haven't caught on to it yet.

Hello dc,

Please forgive me to be honest I was reading one line and and typing another line. The answer to your question is 120000 miles the maximum replacement time is still 10 years.

Again please forgive me. I am sorry for any confusion I caused.

Sincerely,

Betty
    Volvo Customer Care

---- Original Message ----
    To : Volvo Customer Service
    Subject : Re: Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback
    Date : Mon, 10 Nov 2008, 12:59:13 PM EST

Hi Betty,
    Here's a link to the maintenance schedule for my car that is available online through the web site that you provided in your last email:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...intenance.html

As indicated by the VIN for my car that I provided in my original inquiry, my engine code is 59. Doesn't the maintenance chart say that the timing belt service interval is 120,000 miles for that engine code? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    dc

----- Original Message -----
    To: dc
    Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 12:22 PM
    Subject: RE: Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback

Hi dc,

I took this from our warranty and services records information. You can view this information on line as well if you don't have your manual at www.volvocars.com. You can also contact your local Volvo retailer and speak to someone in the service department.

Sincerely,

Betty
    Volvo customer Care

Subject : Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback
    Date : Mon, 10 Nov 2008, 11:27:02 AM EST

Hi Betty-
    Thank you for the speedy reply to my inquiry. Everything I have seen regarding the timing belt replacement interval for my car indicates an interval of 120,000 miles. Can you please confirm the assertion in your reply email that Volvo's recommendation is that my timing belt be changed at 150,000 miles? And if this is in fact accurate, please provide a reference for me.

Thank you,
    dc

----- Original Message -----
    To: dc
    Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:06 AM
    Subject: RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback

Hello dc,

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars of North America.

Specifically for your vehicle identification number Volvo recommends the timing belt be changed at 150000 miles. The maximum replacement time is ten years.

Please keep in mind these are only recommendations. Your Volvo service technician is the best person to evaluate your vehicle to determine if your timing belt might need to be changed sooner.

Drive Safely

Betty

Volvo Customer Care

Subject : Volvo Contact Us Feedback
    Date : Fri, 07 Nov 2008, 05:16:47 PM EST

Volvo Contact feedback:
    Name: dc
    Address:
    Apt/Unit:
    City:
    State:
    Zip:
    E-mail:
    Daytime Phone Number: -
    Vin: YV1SZ59HXXXXXXXXX
    Volvo Model: XC70
    Volvo Model Year: 2004
    Original Owner: No
    Comments: Please confirm that the timing belt change interval for my 2004 XC70 is 120,000 miles, as per the maintenance booklet that came with my car and information provided on Volvo's U.S. web site. An individual who I know to be reasonably informed about all things Volvo insists that these documents contain a misprint, and that the actual timing belt change interval for my car is 105,000 miles. Thank you, dc

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    You should ask fcpgroton but I'm guessing they made it up. Given timing belt failure is a high damage event on these interference engines, people change them depending on varying degree of personal paranoia. I've read some Volvo techs change them prior to 105k because of seeing some cracks on the belt and lubrication leaks on the pulleys.

Certainly, I'm sure there are at least some cases of timing belt/pulley failures under 105k miles. For those people that had failure, they probably wished they had done it earlier.

At 105k, I'd change them
    Thanks Howard,
    I was asking more out of interest and for future knowledge for when the next change should be. The '98 V70M just acquired has had both the belt and tensioner changed at 72k. I was thinking that this was just another way that the service shop (a "highly regarded" Indie) had scammed the PO, ie: changing on old schedule, not the new style schedule. This same shop got over $20k from PO over a 7 year/70k ownership period (from 30k through 101k miles). Upside is that I expect to have quite a few trouble free miles given that virtually everything significant with teh P1 cars has already been taken care of.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

We (service manager and I) looked at some maintenance books today)
    and YES, from 2004 it seems that they WROTE 120K as a T-belt interval change.
    SM says this has been discussed at tech conferences and all agree that it's a poor idea to let it go this long.
    Apparantly this was done to pacify some CA regs but do this at your own risk.

Personally to bet on a piece of rubber and /or a piece of plastic lasting for
    120K with the alternative being a new engine installed is completely up to you. However, they (the master techs and head S/managers) advise customers 105K (or earlier) and I do not believe it's a money thing (this time)!
    The person (s) NEVER to ask, is the person at the end of the Volvo 800 phone line (or email).
    All they are is a bunch of pencil pushing robots who know absolutely NOTHING technical about a car and just read what's printed in front of them.
    THAT IS the truth

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    The person (s) NEVER to ask, is the person at the end of the Volvo 800 phone line (or email).
    All they are is a bunch of pencil pushing robots who know absolutely NOTHING technical about a car and just read what's printed in front of them.
    THAT IS the truth
    As I wrote earlier in this thread, I'm not making any argument one way or the other about the wisdom of Volvo extending the timing belt replacement interval from 105k miles to 120k miles. All I was doing was responding to your assertion that Volvo's recommendation for new timing belts was 105k miles for all cars after 1999.

You suggested that I ask my service manager, "better yet ask Volvo." Given your words above, who did you have in mind when you suggested that I "ask Volvo"?

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc View Post

... who did you have in mind when you suggested that I "ask Volvo"?
    Well, I'm sorry I said that as YOU cannot get to them, but I can.
    Mostly a few of the engineers at Rockleigh who I became familiar with over the years.

I went ahead and replaced the timing belt and its tensioner on my '03 XC70 today (99,700 miles). I was glad I did it early, the timing belt tensioner was way off specification, it was at the loosest setting. I replaced the serpentine belt and its tensioner at the same time. I was very glad to have access to a T60 torx socket to relieve the tension on the tensioner in order to install the new serpentine belt.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123