Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Asked service manager about this 2 weeks ago
    HE said 105K
    He's the HEAD service manager (tech) on the east coast, he heads Volvo tech sessions.
    He said there's no Volvo 5 cylinder with a 120K timing belt change

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Thumbs down So what gives with this company?

They make the cars as well as hand out the owners manual. It specifically states that the 2.5T with Turbo is at a particular mileage. If the manual is wrong then it is Volvo's responsibility to notify us. If my engine blows I will sue them and I don't see how Volvo would win as I'm doing much of the maintenance myself and not inclined to double check what they have printed.

JRL, realize you are just passing the info along but what a bunch of fruitcakes run this company.

And if the manual is wrong in this area (which you feel could blow our engines) what else is mis-stated in the owner's manual?

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Asked service manager about this 2 weeks ago
    HE said 105K
    He's the HEAD service manager (tech) on the east coast, he heads Volvo tech sessions.
    He said there's no Volvo 5 cylinder with a 120K timing belt change
    Well, what he's saying is in direct contradiction to multiple Volvo-produced documents that I've seen, including (as I stated in my previous post) documents covering a range of five model years that Volvo currently makes available through its web site. Is it possible that he's mistaken?

I believe you when you tell us what you've been told. However, a 15,000 mile error (in the wrong direction) on when to change the timing belt, as you have pointed out, could have catastrophic consequences for the engine. If Volvo has indeed made an error, I'm sure they realize it by now and have distributed an errata sheet or in some manner have provided written notification of their mistake. Right?

Please copy and send me that page, I will present it and report on the response I get.
    As for the 105K v 120K, why would they UP the mileage on the exact same engine when we all know (and they know) if a timing belt or tensioner breaks, goodbye engine?

Even if it IS a misprint and you have a problem, you're WAY over in time and mileage for any chance of any warranty or goodwill from Volvo, take that to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Please copy and send me that page, I will present it and report on the response I get.
    As for the 105K v 120K, why would they UP the mileage on the exact same engine when we all know (and they know) if a timing belt or tensioner breaks, goodbye engine?

Even if it IS a misprint and you have a problem, you're WAY over in time and mileage for any chance of any warranty or goodwill from Volvo, take that to the bank.
    I thought that these were in .pdf format, but they're not. The link to the 2006 maintenance schedule is missing the page with the timing belt information, and therefore I have not included it here.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...intenance.html

As to why the replacement interval for the timing belt might have changed beginning with MY 2004, I would only be making uneducated guesses. Materials and manufacturing processes get improved, experience is acquired and applied, etc.

Re: your final sentence. You talkin' to me?
    Last edited by dcandmc; 11-07-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdk View Post
    Wow you'd think that someone would have done this already and put this post to bed.....

Go Here and sign up.

then pick your model year and then scheduled maint...

Incase your lazy. GoHere for 2004

Or Here for 2005. According to this there was a service interval of 120 unless you have a sepcific engine which was 150. But we're only talking about 15,000 miles here and a pretty cheap service. It can't hurt to do it before the 120 to be safe, I remember when they used need changed at 60K (not necessarily Volvos). If you insist on waiting, I suggest that you still do as recommended here and ask your service manager and go with what he recommends, which I'm sure will match what you've been told here, 105. (which is what the 2004 maintenance schedule says in the link above)
    Two things:
    First of all, I'm not insisting on anything, other than that all the documentation I've seen for my '04 XC70 indicates a timing belt change at 120,000 miles. My first post in this thread was in response to JRL's unequivocal statement that "there are no Volvo's with a 120k miles timing belt interval... after 1999." I'm not and never have debated the merits of when a timing belt should be changed. Obviously if you want to be on the safe side, you do it sooner rather than later. I am throwing the BS flag on JRL's statement, and will continue to do so until I see something in writing from Volvo that corrects any "misprint" in their maintenance schedules.

Secondly, the 2004 maintenance schedule that you've linked to DOES NOT say that 105k miles is the correct interval for my car. See the seven asterisks? My car has an engine VIN code of 59, which means that the timing belt service interval is 120k miles.

ETA: Oops, I guess he deleted his post.

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc View Post
    I thought that these were in .pdf format, but they're not. The link to the 2006 maintenance schedule is missing the page with the timing belt information, and therefore I have not included it here.

Re: your final sentence. You talkin' to me?
    No.
    I will print this and present it to Volvo and listen to their interesting answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc View Post
    T

ETA: Oops, I guess he deleted his post.
    Yes, I deleted it, after I posted it, I saw yours. And for the 2006, it's there, it in the ***** basically it says that 15 years or 150K depending on engine code.

So I'm not sure what it would be if your engine code is something other that the ones listed.

what is the approx cost for the time belt?? I have an 01xc70 and have 104578 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by VICIII View Post
    what is the approx cost for the time belt?? I have an 01xc70 and have 104578 miles.
    You need this kit. I hear the pulley can seize and is the more common failure point than a broken belt.

Here is fcpgroton's sale on ebay for cheap. It doesn't say for 01 XC70 but look at the following fcp website link. Parts are identical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...es#ht_3674wt_0

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/203
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast