Default Vehicle Emissision Service-Sorted

Hi Guys,

This morning when I first started my car it chugged a bit, unusual as it hasn't before, then it displayed an ABS servive required light. This disapeared after driving some 30 meteres. Then my second start both the ABS and the Emission Service Light came on but again the ABS light went off, but not the emissions light. Now only the emission light displays.

The car is a VXC70 and it has done 140,000kms (87.500 miles) so I doubt a Cat is faulty. I done a search and it may be the fuel cap or a vacuum hose. If anyone shed any further light on this matter it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the nearest tech with a Volvo computer is 200kms away. I somehow think that there maybe a vacuum leak from the ABS, if thats possible. Alternatively, could it be possible the ECU got a voltage spike and is somehow confused, as you may have seen from Ocean Racers posts the temperature is Western Australia has been 40 degrees Celcius plus for the past three days therefor causing some extreme driving temperatures.

Any info on this matter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Giles
    Last edited by Giles; 01-22-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    2001 Volvo V-70-XC 2.4T Black (SOLD)
    1988 MB 300SEL Diamond Blue (Cruiser)
    1999 MB E430 Avantegard Royal Indigo (Sports Saloon)
    1974 MB 350SLC (mock SLC Rally car, 3000kms away but coming home in 3 weeks)
    1988 Range Rover 4.2 5 spd manual (Go anywhere truck)

Just as a simple check, how's your battery? Extremely hot temps can screw up a battery just as extreme cold can, especially in regard to shorting of the plates. Sometimes you'll have enough power to spin the engine and get a start but you'll have weird current levels which can play havoc with some electronics. As I said, a simple charging system check before you have to get ugly with it.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Just as a simple check, how's your battery? Extremely hot temps can screw up a battery just as extreme cold can, especially in regard to shorting of the plates. Sometimes you'll have enough power to spin the engine and get a start but you'll have weird current levels which can play havoc with some electronics. As I said, a simple charging system check before you have to get ugly with it.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm going to do a battery reset on the weekend to see if it clears anything thing up. I'll also check the charging system if this doesn't work.

Regards,

Giles
    Last edited by Giles; 01-22-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Giles, mate it does sound like your battery is playing up.
    Give it a good charge and you should have the car back to normal.

btw, who do you use for servicing may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
    Giles, mate it does sound like your battery is playing up.

Give it a good charge and you should have the car back to normal.

btw, who do you use for servicing may I ask?
    I think your probably right, I've flattened the battery a couple of times about six months ago but haven't had any problems after a recharge. Maybe it's time for a new one.

I use a local mechanic for the dirty jobs, hoist work or things I can't handle. The previous owner was using the Swedish Car Company in Welshpool. So far I haven't needed the Volvo computer for anything, touch wood.

I've got sometime to myself this weekend so I'll get to the source of this problem.

Regards,

Giles

Early this morning I did a battery disconnect , touched the leads together a few times, gave it a crank and no more warning lights.

I've started it a few times since and driven to work, about 12kms, and still no more warning lights so I think all is OK. Thanks again to the forum and it's members for info and previous postings. I'm sure a stealership would have charged me a couple of hundred dollars for this easy fix.

Regards,

Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Early this morning I did a battery disconnect , touched the leads together a few times, gave it a crank and no more warning lights.

I've started it a few times since and driven to work, about 12kms, and still no more warning lights so I think all is OK. Thanks again to the forum and it's members for info and previous postings. I'm sure a stealership would have charged me a couple of hundred dollars for this easy fix.

Regards,

Giles
    You still might want to have that battery load tested just to make sure that it has not suffered some kind damage due to heat.

Have fun,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff