Default Software Upgrade - Warranty?

I picked up my 2001 XC with 97,500 miles on it from the shop this morning. (power steering leak and Thermometer).

The owner of the independent shop didn't reset my check engine light. He mentioned that my car needs a software update. He doesn't get a break on the update price, but mentioned that it could possibly be covered under warranty at the dealer. He recommended going to dealer, having them reset the check engine light and see if they will cover the software update under warranty.

My question is, how much do software updates usually cost to install, and should it be covered under warranty at the dealer?

No
    Only if has something to do with the throttle body (ETM)
    Dealer's software pricing varies, from dealer to dealer.
    Soft ware runs about $60 retail and they usually charge $75-$125 (RIP OFF) to load it as it takes all of 5 minutes.
    I would check to see what your CEL is for before you think about software as CEL's are for emmisions and usually software does not "cure" anything regarding that.
    Didn't your mechanic tell you what the code was for?????

Default Software Upgrade Required for Future Service

Thanks JRL,

The Mechanic mentioned that the upgrade would be required eventually. He was able to read the codes and make the repair this time but was unsure how long that would be possible with the current software package.

WHAT is "THE" upgrade?
    You continue to be cryptic.
    How can we (1) answer the question unless you tell us
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT AND WHAT SUPPOSED UPGRADE WILL HELP?

Volvo has released an extended warranty on ECM software on certain vehicles. Eligibility will need to be confirmed by your dealer. The warranty upgrade is available only if the vehicle has certain codes listed in the Technical Journal (misfire codes, evap codes, O2 Sensor codes, etc.)

If you are not eligible for the warranty upgrade, they can still check if updated ECM software is available for your vehicle, and perform the upgrade for you at your cost (approx 1hr labour, plus software cost).

You mention you had a thermometer replaced, which I assume was actually a thermostat, as a result of your CEL? In that case, I don't believe the extended warranty will cover you.

I just gotta ask.....why do you need to get a software upgrade? Are you having any particular problem that can't be remedied with the current software version in place? If the software isn't broken, why are you replacing it?? Just because there is a "new software version" doesn't mean you have to rush right out and get it!! Hell, my car is an '02 and God knows what software is out there for it (and I really don't care). It's got no problems, and if and when it does, then I'll fix the problem. Software doesn't break!!!! I just don't understand why your mechanic would say that you need a software upgrade!!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!