Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

No way of measuring exactly what comes out - litre by litre, and replacing only whats removed?

Guesswork.
    Can be close but never exact
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

For flushing, there is too much fluid lost/unaccounted for to go liter for liter...

But you could precisely measure the drain and fill with exactly that, and just do multiple drain and fills.

Or, if you prefer a flush, then do a search and find the plug to which Cattlecar is referring, invest in an infrared thermometer (they're not that much, and great fun to use), and you can check/set the level yourself, using the 60C spec and that plug to set the level. (Note: most are done at 80C, I thought, because that's about cooling system temp when the trans is warm and reaches temp equilibrium with the rest of the engine...but I make no promises on what works for this one...).

And make sure that the car is absolutely level - that's needed for an accurate level check.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Drain it, add 4 litres, start engine and let it idle for 5 minutes then remove the center torx screw from the drain plug and let the extra out. Only the excess runs out.

Thanks everyone for all the info on this page, I just completed the fluid change without a hitch.
    Last edited by DakotaMike; 05-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.

I plan on doing a transmission fluid change next weekend. Amazon has a case of Mobil 3309 for $61 with free shipping, the cheapest I have found anywhere.
    2002 V70XC 260k+ miles

Default Check List

Thanks tnduc for the tip on Amazon price for Mobil 3309.

I just performed my second flush. I wanted to avoid the minor hassles and time wasters I experienced the first time. i.e., Spilled some fluid, and overfilled due to imprecise measurements. So this time I thought it through beforehand and put together the following comprehensive check list. It worked great. Maybe it will help someone.

Volvo "Gibbons Method" Transmission Fluid Flush - Check List

0 Materials.
    12 qts. Mobil 3309 ATF
    Plastic baggie.
    Drain pan.
    Transmission funnel (long thin flexible outlet that will fit transmission dipstick).
    New crush washer 24 mm OD 18 mm ID.
    Socket 24 mm & ratchet for drain plug.
    Torque wrench. (Setting 30 lb ft)
    Graduated measuring container.
    9/16" clear vinyl tubing with Teflon tape.
    Marked transparent 1 gal jug.
    2nd clean jug or save two transmission fluid bottles.
    2nd funnel for transferring new and old fluid.
    Jug(s) to hold 3 gallons of used fluid.
    Plenty of lint free rags or paper towels.
    Latex or vinyl gloves. (Keeps hands clean and protects from heat near dipstick.)
    One assistant to monitor fluid output or start / stop engine.

1 Remove drain plug and empty transmission pan into drain pan.
    Replace drain plug with new washer.
    Measure and record amount removed.
    Add same amount through dipstick hole using funnel.

2 Pour two quart bottles of new fluid into a transparent jug.
    Mark level on jug.
    Measure and pour new fluid back into original or other clean container(s).

3 Disconnect transmission cooler outlet hose and protect connector with baggie,
    not tightly, need to allow some air flow into the return line.
    Place paper towel(s) to capture any drip from outlet.

4 Securely insert vinyl tubing into transmission cooler outlet.
    Route hose downward through engine compartment and put other end in marked jug.
    Start engine and with helper run until fluid just reaches mark or air bubbles appear.
    Measure exact amount in jug if off from mark.
    Record amount removed.
    Pour into another container.
    Add 2 quarts (or actual amount collected) of new fluid through dipstick funnel.
    Record amount added.
    Repeat until fluid runs clear or a bit less than one quart of new fluid remains.
    On final fill - to avoid potential overfilling due to imprecise measurement -
    add slightly less (~200 - 400 ml) than removed on last pump.

5 Remove vinyl tubing. Reconnect cooler return line.

6 Total the amounts removed and added.
    Check and compare totals to determine how much more should nominally be added.

7 Start Vehicle.
    Connect OBDII adapter and readout transmission temperature with software.
    (I use Android Torque App.)
    Run until transmission reaches operating temperature.
    Check dipstick and top off to correct fluid level.
    (Should be similar to amount calculated in Step 6, if measurements were accurate.)
    FINISHED!
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 08-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

pictures showing this would be great. i do not see a drain plug on my transmission pan. it sits on the front of the transmission at a 45 degree angle. i just see its held in by a bunch of torx bolts and has the cooler line coming out of the top. the previous mechanic over filled it and the fulid is really dirty looking.

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...ment-Notes.pdf

It's on the side, not the front...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Have Mobil 3309 + Magnefine filter in tranny of my 2005 XC70 for last 8 months and 15k miles. Fluid is not burnt, no contamination in it, color is slightly darker compared to new fluid. Last 1k I noticed that gears started to shift not so good, especially 3->4, especially when cold. Decided to do another drain'n'fill. While looking for cheapest source of Mobil 3309, I discovered that Aisin started to sell Type T-IV ATF under own brand: http://aisinaftermarket.com/worldpac...?product_id=23. Most likely, this is OE fluid for AW55. I don't believe in rumors that American Exxon-Mobil designed OE fluid for Japanese transmission, when they have Nippon and Idemitsu in Japan, whose engineers speak same language and able to come with great oil. My guess was Idemitsu Type-TLS is OE fluid as it is Japanese and performs so much better in 2001 V70 (MY2002) than anything else I've tried.

Long intro, short question: does anybody have any experience with this Aisin Type T-IV fluid? It is twice more expensive than Mobil and still twice cheaper than ATF sold under Volvo brand.

I was planning to look over Idemitsu in V70 and its performance for another 6 months or so before switching XC70 to same ATF, but things may change now if Aisin Type T-IV is real OE.