Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

After 5 pumps the fluid was looking more or less like the clean fresh stuff that was going in.

My next tranny work will be the B4 Servo cover; I have a harsh upshift N-D 2-3 and flares throughout pretty much.

Love this forum.

OK, new here so the answer may be around in the forum somewhere but haven't found it yet:

2003, 103K miles, no transmission issues it's just time to change the transmission fluid. I am very wary of treating my box to the best stuff given the horror stories on here.

For transmission fluid it seems Mobil 3309 is the preferred choice. My local indy Volvo shop suggested synthetic fluid when i called for a quote. Now are they just upping the job profit without any benefits or is that a good choice? (I don't know which synthetic they use)

NO NO NO!
    3309 or Toyota Type IV, (same stuff) ONLY!
    Go to a Toyota dealer and buy a case of Type IV yourself and avoid the markup.

(It was time to change the fluid 50,000 miles ago)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    NO NO NO!
    3309 or Toyota Type IV, (same stuff) ONLY!
    Go to a Toyota dealer and buy a case of Type IV yourself and avoid the markup.

(It was time to change the fluid 50,000 miles ago)
    Thanks JRL. I have records that show it was done at 54K miles so it is due.

Default plug in the bottom of the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Hi,

I am not native english and I didn't understant exactly what I need to pull in step 2 of your tutorial
    "Pull the plug in the bottom of the transmission"
    Can you explain me with more detail or picture ?

Thank you very much for your help
    Regards
    Erwan

Quote Originally Posted by equigna View Post
    Hi,

I am not native english and I didn't understant exactly what I need to pull in step 2 of your tutorial
    "Pull the plug in the bottom of the transmission"
    Can you explain me with more detail or picture ?

Thank you very much for your help
    Regards
    Erwan
    Welcome to the Board.

2. Pull the plug in the bottom of the transmission. about 3.1 liters of ATF will come out. Put the plug back in, and put in 3.1 liters of new ATF (through the dipstick hole) to replace what just drained out.
    The plug is the transmission fluid drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. It should be at the engine side of the transmission. I don't have a picture of the location.

This same method is well used in the Toyota Landcruiser community where it's called a Rodney flush (after a well known Aussie transmission guru).

My question is has anyone modified this method by constantly adding new fluid as the old comes out (no stopping/starting vehicle). First decide how much you want to flush based on how much new fluid you have. Mark a 5 gal bucket to that same volume. Turn car on until bucket fills to line, turn vehicle off, and let any additional new fluid drain into transmission.

Think it will work?
    -chris

We do that, takes two people

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hello everyone, 1st post! I'm in Shropshire UK!

Just bought a 131,000 miles XC70 2006 (has some tweaks from the last of this shape model - such as the indicators in the wing mirrors) - its got a full service history but I suspect that the ATF has never been changed. The car drives fines.

What I don't know is, is the guide in this thread suitable for my Auto box? I guess it might be - but I don't know how many gears the transmission has (I suppose I could go put the car in manual mode and shift up down to see - but would like some reassurance from here if possible).

ATF fluid over her seems MUCH more expensive. Its about £13 per litre - so $20? (US$)... Cheapest mobil 3309 I could find was £188 delivered for 20 litres (it was cheaper to buy a 20l volume than 12-14 single litres!).

I want to do this ASAP, I like the peace of mind that the ATF has been changed!!

You have a 5 speed auto box, put it in manual mode and look at your dashboard.
    Your gear is then displayed in front of you.

By VERY careful at these miles,
    only do a Gibbons type fluid flush, NEVER a power flush and you must use Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type 1V

Side mirror turn signals, this is a world wide 2007, the last year.
    (For the life of me, I don't understand why the Brits make this confusing by using the original sale date for their model year).

and yes, you're in the right place and you need at least 12 US quarts of fluid, (I don't know how much that is in litres).