Quote Originally Posted by guyeye View Post
Nice Video, BUT...

*Mobil 1 Synthetic does not meet spec. (unless that has changed very recently). Use Mobil 3309 (or toyota T-IV). Some people swear by Amsoil- I play it safe.
*Remove the fresh air intake pipe (it just pops out). Much easier to reach in. This makes it hard for me to watch this!
*A funnel with a flexible hose (18"?) works best. It's not necessary to remove the funnel while performing this procedure.
*In theory, moving through the gears while pumping fluid out, helps clear more dirty fluid trapped inside various channels. This is probably not absolutely necessary.

Much has been mentioned about the proper way to check the fluid, so it should be mentioned that you must do it after the transmission is fully up to temp. This takes longer than getting the engine up to temp. 20 minutes of city driving should be safe (or you can check the temp with your Vida-Dice setup). Do it when the car is perfectly level. run through the gears before you check it and keep the car running (obvious?). Wear long sleeves or you will surely burn yourself.

Did I miss anything?

Great vid though! Should probably be posted in the "Big Transmission Post..." sticky with the above mentioned "tips".
I wanted to place this in the transmission thread on the stickies but that thread is closed.

And as both of you (Astro14 & Guyeye) point out Mobil 3309 is the recommended type transmission fluid or the Toyota t-IV equivalent. While I no way a full on DIY'er I thought this was a great look on how to do it, fluid aside.

I guess the fluid choice is down to those that wish to take the risk and use something other than what is recommended.