Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer glitch 2004 XC

New to us 2004 XC70. Bought August 2013, ~ 94500 miles. I have been working through changing all fluids, timing belt, brake hoses, engine mounts, tires, transmission drain fill x2. Car is for son to go to school 4+ hours away. Returning home for the Christmas holiday after 2+ hours of driving, the car shut off and immediatly restarted. No further incidents. Battery age (Volvo brand) unknown but started at 5*F here in south east Pa. without problem. Replaced battery with new group H6 AGM 760 CCA battery. Cables were clean and tight on old battery. Well, he went for a 3 hour ride last night and again the car shut off/restarted, 4 times. Had a left rear door agar message, lights flash, transmission bangs, SRS message. Cannot trust car for him to return to school. Last nights first failure occured on Pa Turnpike using cruse control. Subsequent failures with cruse off. I have searched for solutions, and appears ECM and/or fan may be at fault. Will be calling garage for appointment. Any advice where ECM, CEM and fan is located? I can check if fan operates and clean contacts but don't know where to look. Sorry no DICE VIDA to read codes.

ECM is under hood in my car, forward of PS reservoir.

"Car shut off"....means, he turned off the engine? The engine stopped running?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Engine stopped running without touching the key. Then engine immediatly restarted without touching key. I'm not sure how with an automatic car at 60 mph. But this is how it is reported to me. Perhaps glitch caused the transmission to go into limp mode causing bang. Interior lights came on, blinkers ? Currently 6*F here. I'm off to look in the computer box for a fan. I will not pull any circuit boards without disconnecting the battery per Volvo proceedure. Car starts and runs well otherwise. No oil leaks, PCV system seems functional as crankcase is slightly negative (further investigation in spring) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
    the car shut off and immediatly restarted. - went for a 3 hour ride last night and again the car shut off/restarted, 4 times. Had a left rear door agar message, lights flash, transmission bangs, SRS message.
    Sounds like a cem problem, many reports of similiar problems. CEM is located above drivers left foot -

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...fore-they-fail

Yep, definitely the CEM is overheating. In 2001-2004, the CEM's in our Volvo's don't have a heat-sync (2005+ do). I put a $10 CPU cooling fan just behind it and wired it into the fuse box on the drivers door side to come on (I think it's wired to the 12V plugs).

The CEM is the CPU module that connects the high speed and low speed buses in P2 Volvo's. If it overheats, you get electrical items on your lowspeed and highspeed buses (i.e brake booster failure, ECM failure, open door alarm, limp mode - thumping in your transmission) all happening at the same time.

Two easy choices - 1 - XEMODEX $$$ or 2 - DIY with a fan or heat sync like Hoonk has linked to from Swedespeed. With XEMODEX, you have to pull it out and send it to them - could take a week or more. Do it yourself, a few hours in the afternoon.

Ed

Thank you for your advice/recommendations. Car operates completely normal. I will be driving the XC trying to reproduce the failure sequence. Will keep posted. THANKS.

You may want to try to duplicate the issue by making the driver's side area near the feet really hot.
    : )
    If it freaks out on you, let it cool own for a while.

OK, back from vacation and ready to remove CEM to send to XEMODEX. Mechanic said many codes on multiple buses. I have removed plastic panel above footwell and OBD plug for access. I then loosened bolt at top until bolt head hits metal dash support. This is the bolt between #1 and #7 on picture in swedespeed post #1 by JPL GUY (post #4 above). It appears the CEM is mounted on the sides with a round slide in pins. CEM wiggles but does not slide down. How does CEM remove? Are there clips to be released or other bolts? Thank you for your help.

Got it! There is a metal clip (part of the bracket) to be released on the exterior side of the CEM. The whole assembly drops down with lots of wires.

XeMODeX had the CEM for less than one day. Big thank you to XeMODeX for the immediate attention and return. The brown truck delivered the box and within an hour the car was again running. Reassembly was much easier due to knowing how it was assembled. Thank you all for your advice and help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast