Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Replacing the Angle Gear Yourself

After a short chat with the service dept at the stealer, I decided that either I drive a AWD with only the FW pulling or I fix the bevel gear myself.

I then called back and spoke to the parts guy at the stealer and he was a little more helpful. He explained to me that there is a sleeve between the Bevel Gear Assy, and the transmission, and that in some cases that piece is the colprit and it is only a couple hundred $ instead of the $2,200 bevel gear assy.

Problem is, you have to remove the bevel gear assy to really be able to tell if that is where the problem is.

Also I foud out that now you can order the bevel gear assy with a 1 day delivery. (before apparently it was not open to the public)
    Last edited by Omega5; 08-19-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Check your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega5 View Post
    After a short chat with the service dept at the stealer, I decided that either I drive a AWD with only the FW pulling or I fix the bevel gear myself.

I then called back and spoke to the parts guy at the stealer and he was a little more helpful. He explained to me that there is a sleeve between the Bevel Gear Assy, and the transmission, and that in some cases that piece is the colprit and it is only a couple hundred $ instead of the $2,200 bevel gear assy.

Problem is, you have to remove the bevel gear assy to really be able to tell if that is where the problem is.

Also I foud out that now you can order the bevel gear assy with a 1 day delivery. (before apparently it was not open to the public)
    Dont' forget to check junkyards with wrecked XC70's - you may be able to find the entire assembly for a few hundred $$$.

Besides, used is a little more green.

I have taken off the front right wheel and looked to see what i'm up against. I find it hard to see exactly how the BG is unbolted from the tranny. The outputs are easy to de couple, or so they look. But the input looks tricky.

If anyone has some diagrams of how this is assambled please don't hesitate to post it. I intend to write a "how to" since it looks like it's a common issue.

Try these 2 threads in Swedespeed, they are very helpful with several DIY photos.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50627

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50601
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

I've done the repair myself, it is not too hard. I lucked out in that it wasn't the bevel gear itself that was bad, it was the collar gear (splined sleeve) that connects the tranny to the bevel gear that failed. It was a $80 part.

If you can change out a driveshaft, you can do this repair. As for removing the bevel gear from the tranny there are 4 or 5 bolts that bolt the two together. Don't confuse them with teh bolts that join the two halves of the bevel gear together.

I'll try to find my how to post, it is over on Swedespeed, in the R forum.

Default Good info

Thanks ifnt, very good info on there.
    Just to make it easyer to find in the future, here's the best parts:

Here's what to expect when you go to the dealer for a bevel gear repair:

<< quote >>
    "Check on diagnostic computer - no codes are stored - found that rear drive shaft is not spinning
    Replace connecting socket between trans and angle gear and final drive assembly" 1161648-1 Transmission oi(l)
    977101-5 Snap Ring
    9181408-7 Sleeve
    9143911-7 Sealing Ring
    9143885-3 Sealing Ring
    9143465-4 Bearing Anchora
    8603681-1 Final Drive. Ex
    1161641-4 Transmission oi(l)
    << quote >>

Here's a blowup of the actual bevel gear, unfortunatelly i don't have the index, but atleast you can have a visual of what's there.

I'll have a look at it over the weekend, becasue it needs to come out before I decide the source of failure, but my guess is the splined sleeve. Item 19 i'm guessing.

jagman's very good post (half-way down the page): http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t=10253&page=2

Default Thanks for the visual JAGMAN

I can only hope that my issue is similar. That certanly sounds plausable considering my original diagnostics. What about the seals?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGMAN View Post
    I just had a similar failure on my '04V70R. The transmission and angle/bevel gear are bolted together. Both have a splined shaft output. A splined collar is what couples the shafts. When the collar strips out, no more AWD. The splines of the shaft can also be damaged during a failure like this.

As for the Tranny replacement (that your dealer mentioned), this happens when the dealer is unable to remove the damaged collar from the transmission output shaft and has to replace the tranny. The reason they have trouble removing the collar is because they use an inadequate tool (which I won't get into).

Here is a picture of the collar. You can see the splines are stripped out on one side (the bevel gear side), but the other side is fine (tranny side). I replaced the collar and now all is well. Total cost wqs $85 for the collar, and $100 for new oil seals in the tranny and bevel gear (since I was already there).

As I said, I was fortunate that the collar was the only part that was damaged, and the shafts of the tranny and bevel gear were undamaged. I was also fortunate that I can do this work myself. I can almost 100% guarantee that the dealer would've had to replace my tranny, since their tool wouldn't have been strong enough to remove the collar.

I had to drill two holes in the collar and attach a 5-ton puller, then heat the area with Mapp gas.

Default What is the cause of the failure?

I'm curious what is the cause of this wear. The sleeves looks permanently engaged with both shafts without any mechanical sliding motion to engage or disengage. I'm imaging one edge of the tooth making contact to the shafts to handle the load of transmitting the force.

So where does the mechanical wear come from? Was the original splines manufactured out of spec? Insufficient design spec? Materials problem? Cars that are more often transmitting a percentage of the power to the rear? (front wheels must lose some percentage of the grip from my understanding)

Curious if anyone knows the cause of this wear
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast