Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

MoeB,

As far as I can tell these lights are only on when the key is in position II which makes them useless as parking lights. Am I confused about this?
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    I have changed both sides on mine. Yes, the filaments were burned out.
    It really is a job a 5 yr. old could do. In fact it is probably easier for a 5yr. old with their smaller fingers

My first one took me 20mins. Now it's a ten second job.

But then again, I do them on a fairly regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold View Post
    MoeB,

As far as I can tell these lights are only on when the key is in position II which makes them useless as parking lights. Am I confused about this?
    When the light switch is in parking light position (half-way between 9 and 12 o'clock on the switch) the parking lights stay on without the key in the ignition. Or at least they do on my car.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

MoeB,

I just confirmed that you are right. I misread the manual and didn't test my reading with the car. Thanks.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Default One slap to the housing!

Turned out my "failure" was on the right side, and one good slap to the housing solved the problem. Thanks for the input, folks, and I'm glad I was able to start such a well visited thread. Have a fine day....
    Mitchgat
    '03 Silver XC 58k

Mitch, pick up an Osram 5007 bulb or two when you get the chance. Then you'll be set once that broken filament burns through.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    08/01 Build Date

Default Fixed by a slap

My 2004XC just warned me of my faulty position light. Why the hell does the car's software reference 'position light' yet it is not referenced it in the manual. Thanks to volvoXC.com, I was able to garner the necessary steps to deal with the problem. I turned on the system, walked to the rear left, ascertained that the 'position light' (again, this site showed me WHERE it was) was indeed out, and then with all the calm and assurance of a Volvo tech I calmly and lightly slapped the external lens. Low and behold it came on immediately. May have to go get my certification as a technician. Big thanks to all who volunteered their personal experiences on this subject. Stoked to not have to a) turn a typical 5 minute fix into a 1/2 hour of being pissed off--my standard fare; or b) take it into the shop for a "big fix." Much thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malolo View Post
    My 2004XC just warned me of my faulty position light. Why the hell does the car's software reference 'position light' yet it is not referenced it in the manual.
    LOL, guess something got lost in translation somewhere between Gotenberg and the US. Your new tech certification should qualify you to do the "big fix" yourself. The Osram 5007 bulb is available at most auto parts stores for around $5 (got mine at Advance Auto).
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    08/01 Build Date

Default Position Light

Tapping the left rear worked for me--thanks!

Same thing happened, left side. Gave it a tap, message gone. The last time it happended, the tap fix didn,t work. I removed the bulb holder, cleaned the contact pin. Problem solve and stable since then.
    Marc

XC 70 2005 | LAVA SAND

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast