Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kicking myself..... QUICK engine spray down with water now throwing codes

I have a little time off work and threw most of it at our 05 xc70. This afternoon after sanding down and refinishing the headlights I sprayed a little hose water into the engine bay to clean up. Let the car idle in driveway for about 10 minutes and put the family in to go to he grocery store and had bad studdering with flashing check engine light. Came home and pulled the following codes

P0400
    P0203
    P0300
    P0003

I checked the third cylinder coil pack that I just replaced about 8 weeks ago and there was no water or moisture but still have a rough idle and loss of power. I am assuming that this isn't going to go away on its own. Was hoping to make a 4 hour drive with it on Christmas Day but that isn't looking great right now.... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check Fuel rail, injector connections, MAF connection.
    If you disconnect MAF and it runs better than its the MAF that needs replacement.

Good Luck!
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Clear the code and see what comes back... helps narrow in on the problem
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Off topic here. When did they start putting in plastic headlights?
    Mine are glass, and I imagined Volvo was sticking with glass. Every time I was seeing an E class with headlights all fuzzed-up, I would think to myself "cheap bastards!"
    Now I don't know what to think. :-) Are all of them plastic nowadays?
    =======================
    2003 XC70
    193,000 miles / first owner

Quote Originally Posted by pelagikos View Post
    Off topic here. When did they start putting in plastic headlights?
    Mine are glass, and I imagined Volvo was sticking with glass. Every time I was seeing an E class with headlights all fuzzed-up, I would think to myself "cheap bastards!"
    Now I don't know what to think. :-) Are all of them plastic nowadays?
    For the V70 and XC70, they started in 2005 with the plastic "clear" headlights. They're only clear until they're fogged over and there are apparently no good aftermarket replacements, so either spring for the "R" glass ones, or the ABLs (also glass), or spend on the OEM replacements (damn near cheaper to replace the car at that point - haha).

Anyway, that's also why there are no wipers on 2005+. It would scratch the plastic. Welcome to Value Engineering.

Thanks for the tips. I cleared codes after checking the number three coil and drove around the block with same shuddering from engine. Didn't go far enough for new codes but will be back on it first thing tomorrow.

As for the headlights they are plastic and get so fogged it's terrible. I did however find that the meguiars heavy duty headlight restoration kit works like a dream.

Codes as of this morning....

P0403
    P0003
    P0103
    P0203
    P0400

Going to look back through coil packs and plugs to hopeful fix.

codes from a Volvo diag tool (VIDA/DiCE) might be more informative but I guess you don't have that. Some member have aftermarket versions of this tool and if there is one near you, codes from that tool maybe more helpful. Anyhow, the generic code listed shows these errors from this listing

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lti-Part-Post)

P0003 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low
    P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
    P0203 Injector Circuit Malfunction - Cylinder 3
    P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
    P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction

Kinda all over and not too informational on where to start. I'm going to hazard a guess that it might be a loose vacuum line. Google "WD40 vacuum leak" to see how to find it. Do it on a cold engine.

How did you spray the water on, garden hose with no nozzle, high pressure nozzle, or pressure washer?

Few other things to retrace your steps and check

- The big air pipe had to come off to get to coil pack #3, make sure the pipe is on properly especially near the turbo end. The hose between the turbo and the pipe also weakens and rips with age. Check that

- Check when you put the coil packs in, it didn't catch and pinch any of the wires. How does the protective wirelooms look? I had 2001s and the looms brittled with age and flaked off all over. I think Volvo improved by 05.
    Last edited by howardc64; 12-24-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thank you for the tips. Looks like I have more trouble shooting to do Friday.... Unfortunately I don't have access to any vidas software but hopefully I can get through this one without much more stress.

As for the water, I used the garden hose, half power, with a wide spray nozzle. Seems unreal that a light spraying where I did my best to avoid fuses etc caused all this but such is life. Thanks again and merry Christmas.

Same thing happened to me a month or so ago.
    My idiot clean up guy who KNOWS not to spray directly on the top of an engine did anyway, (said he forgot. He forgets to change his underwear. Poor guy, no memory whatsoever) anyhow our 2000 V70R developed a very slight miss that became worse as the day wore on.
    Long story short, he shorted out a coil.
    It's pretty easy to short out an older one out so find out the affected cylinder and swap coils with a good one and scan again
    If the miss is now the other cylinder you know what to do.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast