Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

with the 2000XC do voltage drop testing on the cables under load., esp. the B+ cable from batt to fuse box. feel the pos cable after running car and see if it is hot(bad) where it goes down to the starter. what is batt. voltage and the voltage at batt with car running?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

if you search "voltage drop" over at matthewsvolvosite.com you will read how checking volvo starting probs starts with a check of the cables at 2000rpm with lights on, fan on high and the rear defroster on.

I had a starting problem with my 2000 xc70. Sometimes the engine would turn, but it would not ever catch. I drove around and delt with it. AT local shop one day, it did it in front of the young mechanic who had just looked at the car. He almost yelled,"it's the key". We have one new volvo key and one old one. Turns out the theft system sometimes cannot read the new key. We now use only the old key. If this happens, you must turn the key totally off before trying again. Otherwise the theft system is still reading the key and not trying again.

Default wire that comes loose

Could someone take a picture of that wire that comes loose? I can't find it to check on my 01.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ekratman View Post
    Could someone take a picture of that wire that comes loose? I can't find it to check on my 01.

Thanks,

Eric
    Eh?

Default wire that comes loose

Volvo gal mentioned a wire near the starter that comes loose. I have been going crazy out there in the 10F weather trying to find it...
    Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ekratman View Post

Thanks,

Eric
    On most cars, including these, there are two connections at the starter.
    One is the very large cable from the battery (that often continues to
    the alternator
    ). It provides the high current needed to spin the engine.
    It's connected to the starter by a large threaded stud and a big hex nut.

The other is the small wire that actually triggers the starter to engage.
    It can be another stud/nut connection ( usually on older cars ) or a
    quick disconnect like the one mentioned in this post.

FWIW, in an emergency situation, if for instance you have a bad ignition
    or PNP switch, the two can be jumped to engage the starter. A screwdriver
    will usually do the trick. The small wire does not need to be connected for
    the emergency hotwire trick.

Have a look at the starter. You should see them both.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

BEJinFBK,

Thanks for the quick response! It's hard to see the starter connections under the intake manifold!

Looking at the main body starter's motor housing, there are two large studs which are threaded and don't have anything connected to them.

Looking at what must be the relay, to the front of the starter, there is the large red wires connected and there is a smaller short black wire that goes from the relay into the body of the starter motor. I jiggled that wire, and it seemed like it might have been a little corroded in it's connection to the relay.

After jiggling that wire, the car started for me three times in a row.

I am hoping that is the solution. If it stops starting again, I will go right back to that wire and see if that solves it.

My question is, how do you replace that wire? It looks like it goes from the relay part of the starter into the body of the starter motor...

Thanks,

Eric

Starter cable, they go bad like all the other cable, you just replace the entire cable

Default wire to replace

Hi,

I've attached a picture with the wire circled in pink. It seems like the wire's connection to its connector loop is compromised. The other end of the wire seems to disappear into the body of the starter...

Default loose starter wire

So my 2001 XC took a couple tries to get to turn over and start Saturday. Sunday, it wouldn't start.

I put a new battery in it, and that didn't fix the problem.

I read the boards about a loose wire on the starter and went out and jiggled them, and then it started. I had thought it was the wire from the solenoid to the starter that was loose cause it didn't feel too stout. That wire is circled in my previous post.

Today I took out the starter to check that wire and found a different wire that I hadn't seen before. That wire is circled (with the starter removed from the car) in the picture in this post. That wire was barely connected to the starter. It had a white plastic clip that slides onto a connection point on the solenoid. Like Volvo Gal had mentioned, it was a very loose connection. I immediately had the impression that was my issue as well.

Given the hassle of removing the starter, I bought a new one (and had them bench test it before I installed it). This starter was a little longer than the previous one and made it almost (and I mean just barely almost) impossible to replace the air-duct that feeds under the injector rail. The longer starter occupies that space where the duct's elbow should be. If you buy a new starter, take in the old one and make certain that the new one isn't any longer (including the bolts that the positive wire connects to).

Anyways, I cleaned out the inside of the white connector, squeezed it with pliers (to make a tighter fit), and applied dielectric grease so it would have a better connection. It started up afterwards, and I will keep you all posted on how it does in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast