Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Intermittent starting problem - 2000 V70XC

For about eight months, I've had an intermittent and random starting problem with my 2000 V70XC (88,000 miles) that my independent mechanic typically isn't able to duplicate, even after the car has been towed to his shop on a flatbed truck.

With the key turned to the right in the ignition, the car engine doesn't crank or "turn over," and doesn't make any of the usual sounds of the engine starting up. Usually, if we simply let the car sit for a number of hours, or overnight, it will start up again without any problem. At other times, we have had to have the car towed in to the shop.

We replaced the original, eight-year old battery a few weeks ago, as it seemed to be a bit week, but the problem persists. All of the electricals (headlights, radio, window switches, etc.) seem to come on strongly when the ignition key is turned, but the engine simply doesn't start up. There is no pattern we can see, as it happens from both cold and warm starts, after sitting all night, after driving and stopping for an errand, in rainy weather and in dry weather.

This has happened about a dozen times in the past few months. On one (and only one) occasion recently, the "Check Engine" light came on.

The mechanic thinks it's probably either (a) the starter, (b) the immobilizer ring, or (c) the neutral safety switch, but without being able to duplicate the problem consistently, he isn't able to diagnose it accurately. He has had the problem a couple of times when the car has been towed in, but by the time he gets it up on his lift to explore it further, the problem is gone.

The car has always been garaged, original owner, meticulously serviced. I have an excellent extended warranty (has always paid for every repair needed) that will expire in about three weeks, and I'm anxious to get this one fixed while the car is still under this warranty.

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.

You MUST have the internal stored codes read on a VOLVO scanner,
    ie: your Volvo dealer

Default Intermittent starting problem - 2000 V70XC

Brought the car in to dealer as suggested. Only internal code read by computer is related to catalytic converter ("Check engine" light came on while driving to dealer for appointment). Dealer reports that no codes having to do with ignition system are reported by the computer.

Entire ignition system checked out by dealer, who reports that everything is up to factory specifications.

Dealer could not reproduce problem, which has been random and intermittent, including having car towed three times on a flatbed truck to independent mechanic, following which car started up fine.

Dealer's conclusion is simply "if it's a problem it will get worse and then we'll be able to diagnose it and fix it." This isn't a good response, since we have had more than half a dozen experiences of the car simply not starting with the key turned in the ignition.

Any other ideas about how to proceed?

Bad antenna ring or immobilizer issue

Does the starter solenoid click when it won't start? Do the dash lights dim when the key is turned to the start position? Either of those would indicate a bad starter to me.

When it is in its no-start mood will the starter engage if you ground it directly with a screwdiver? If so the starter is fine and the problem is somewhere upstream.

Check the vehicle ground (contact and cable). That's probably not it but it's so simple to do it's good to eliminate as a cause.

Do you have more than one ignition key on your key ring? They can sometimes interfere with each other's signals and cause the immobilizer to activate.

Eight years!? That was one darned good battery!
    Last edited by instarx; 08-22-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

I encountered this same problem for the first time this weekend on my 2000 V70XC. I drove the car to Home Depot yesterday, ran in to pick up a couple of things, and when I tried to start the car to leave, it just would not crank. All the dash lights came on and I could hear the fuel pump cycle up. Windows rolled up and down with no problem, but the starter just wouldn't engage. It was like I was trying to start the car while it was in gear.

I did a bunch of research online and started to suspect the immobilizer system. Unfortunately, I only have one key for this car, so I can't try to start it with another one. I even did the little trick where you're supposed be able to reset the immobilizer system by locking and unlocking the doors 5 times with the key. No luck. Today, I went back to the car and tried starting it a bunch of times until finally, out of the blue, it worked fine. I drove it home and parked it. Haven't tried to start it again.

Through all of the reading I've done, I suspect this is going to be one of those problems I just have to live with unless I want to start throwing tons of money at things which may or may not be causing the issue. I've heard low battery voltage, corroded wiring, bad starter, bad solenoid. And if it turns out to be the immobilizer system, that's going to require dealer service right? And it seems really annoying that there's no way for them to test it unless it's not working especially if the problem only occurs intermittently and rarely.

It just sucks that I can't drive this car anywhere without the possibility of winding up stranded at random and for an indeterminate amount of time.

I had a starting problem with my 2000 xc70. Sometimes the engine would turn, but it would not ever catch. I drove around and delt with it. AT local shop one day, it did it in front of the young mechanic who had just looked at the car. He almost yelled,"it's the key". We have one new volvo key and one old one. Turns out the theft system sometimes cannot read the new key. We now use only the old key. If this happens, you must turn the key totally off before trying again. Otherwise the theft system is still reading the key and not trying again.

Default wire that comes loose

Could someone take a picture of that wire that comes loose? I can't find it to check on my 01.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ekratman View Post
    Could someone take a picture of that wire that comes loose? I can't find it to check on my 01.

Thanks,

Eric
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ekratman View Post

Thanks,

Eric
    On most cars, including these, there are two connections at the starter.
    One is the very large cable from the battery (that often continues to
    the alternator
    ). It provides the high current needed to spin the engine.
    It's connected to the starter by a large threaded stud and a big hex nut.

The other is the small wire that actually triggers the starter to engage.
    It can be another stud/nut connection ( usually on older cars ) or a
    quick disconnect like the one mentioned in this post.

FWIW, in an emergency situation, if for instance you have a bad ignition
    or PNP switch, the two can be jumped to engage the starter. A screwdriver
    will usually do the trick. The small wire does not need to be connected for
    the emergency hotwire trick.

Have a look at the starter. You should see them both.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast