Default Towing a heavy load

My xc’s an 02. In a week or two I have to tow about 2400 lbs. The trip will be about 40 miles. The speed limits on the roads I will take are about 40 – 50 mph.

When driving should I place the transmission in automatic or on manual and shift as needed?

Is there a differnce for the trans when towing?

Not particularly. Do you regularly flush your transmission? Does the trailer have brakes? Our XC's are designed to tow up to 1500lbs without, and 3000 with.

When I tow, I often to use the tiptronic - found the engine is a lot cooler when I do.

You should be fine, that's a pretty short distance at relatively low speeds. i would leave the trans in auto, it's not engine temps but trans temps that i would worry about.
    2003 XC70
    BFG Mud Terrains
    IPD Aluminum Skid plate
    Curt Hitch
    Yakima Basket W/ Spare Tire Mount
    Poly Upper and Lower Motor mounts
    IPD Gauge Rings
    ETC ...........

Yikes, I was pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer with full camping and my Road King inside. The trailer was 2900 empty. Full like it was 3500. Didn't have electric brakes on the the car. Pulled and stopped ok..... I have a picture of that set up somewhere...

Jake

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Towing

Frank, you should have no problem with that weight and distance. I have towed our 26' sailboat across the Rockies staying around 65 MPH without any mishap. For the distance/weight you are looking at there should be no issues. I just keep my tranny in automatic mode and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by John@CdnRockies; 07-21-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Not particularly. Do you regularly flush your transmission? Does the trailer have brakes? Our XC's are designed to tow up to 1500lbs without, and 3000 with.

When I tow, I often to use the tiptronic - found the engine is a lot cooler when I do.
    The trans was flushed 15,000 miles ago. The trailer has no brakes.