Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Fuel pump failure?

Hi,
    Just had to have my fuel pump replaced to the tune of well over a thousand dollars. Cost and problem fall in to the "unreal" category. Hard to believe that something as simple as a fuel pump has evolved into a piece of equipment that apparently as complicated as something that is vital to the launch of the Shuttle. Oh for the days when a fuel pump was activated by the cam shaft, held on to the engine with two bolts, cost five dollars, took about ten minutes to replace and seldom failed. According to the Stealership that did my work, in order to get to the fuel pump, they had to remove the rear seat to get to the fuel pump? I haven't had time to survey the total amount of damage they did in doing this, but do know that the headliner and steering wheel are covered with greasy hand prints and after three days there is still a strong odor of gasoline in the car. My Volvo is an 03 S80 with only 45000 miles on it. Is this typical of Volvo dependability and excellence? Guess i'm going to have to go Japanese.
    Comments please.

What were the costs for labor, and what was the cost for materials?

Default Fuel pump failure?

Pump - 346.86
    Labor - 559.65

The cost of the pump is about right.

The labor cost is high. It shouldn't have taken more than 4 hours, it looks like they charged you around double what it should have taken for labor.

In any case, you said you paid "well over a thousand dollars" to have your pump replaced, yet the totals of material and labor are $906.51. Was there any additional work done?

Default Fuel pump failure?

There was a $1.90 charge for an O-ring,
    $11.90 charge for 2 SHOP KLEEN
    A $39.98 labor charge for changing the fuel filter and $45.16 charge for the filter itself
    Tax was $80.44
    For a total of $1085.89
    In addition to the repair charge there was a $150.00 charge for towing, as the only Volvo garage in the area is 25 miles from the breakdown site.
    Thank you
    Last edited by JOHN CALLAHAN; 06-14-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: error

To replace an S-80 fuel pump, the rear seat bottom. the pass side seat bolster, and backrest must be removed. Then access panels in the floor are removed. Electric conectors unplugged. then both fuel level sensors are removed. The pump is integrated with thhe fuel level sensor on the pass side, and the wiring and a "transfer pump" fish through thee tank to the drivers side. Once disconected, you have to attach a wire to the hos/harness asssy and drag it through the tank so you can pull the new hose/harness through the tank.If the tech is very carefull, he may only spill a few drops of fuel into your car whil performing this task. Then the new sensors have to be perfectly aligned and held in place while the retainer nut is tightened, which is very tricky. I think thhe book time for this job is around 3-3.5 hours but I'm not sure. At the labor rate in my dealer, you were overcharged. (107.50/hr). All in all, it's not a fun job. Fortunately you don't have a 98-2000 AWD V-70. Fuel pumpp replacement on those models requires removal of the drive shaft to the rear, the exaust system the cargo compartment floor boards, and the ENTIRE rear suspension system together with the fuel tank must be lowered to access and replace the fuel pump. 8-10 hrs labor.

Bob
    Retired Volvo Tech, current Volvo parts guy.

Cool Fuel pump failure?

Hello Bob,
    Appreciate your comments. Sounds like it's a tricky job, but I do think the charges are outrageous. What are you going to do, everything is outrageous these days. I am disappointed with Volvo though and I have always held them in high regard. The pain goes away after a while and I am getting 25 to 27 miles to the gallon with my S80 2.9 so things could be worse.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by taotao View Post
    Everyday is A Gift
    I don't know what you are pitching but it sure doesn't make me feel any better about my fuel pump!
    Last edited by Forkster; 04-23-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Removing SPAM msg

It's a spam bot...
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

I had fuel pump failure on a major trip, stalled on I 95 in ME in 2000 XC awd (see Bob re labor). Towed to garage, got quote of $450 each for two pumps (won't do one because of high labor cost to get access) and 10 hours at $96 for a total with tax of $2K. I said no, went on line, found a description of a floor cutting method that "makes" an entry to tank as in the later models, and took it with pix to another garage where I persuaded them to do it. I found an aftermarket pump in CA for $75 delivered to the garage in 48 hours, rented a room, and three days later left ME lighter by only $700. (It was going to take the Volvo people 3 days also). I don't have that laptop for the websites but a Google search should find them fast.
    I now consider my 2000 as "modified to 2001+ standards" .

Note: The non OEM pumps may be slightly shorter, and won't pump the last 2 gallons. I use the 1/4 mark as a warning light and try to never get that low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast