Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    DSTC is standard on 07's. twist the info knob at the end of the turn signal until you get to DSTC then you can tap the reset button to reduce.

READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL
    Oops, sorry for the confusing info, put right thanks to JRL
    I do wonder why Volvo has changed the way to deactivate DSTC, it doesn't
    imply less actions to say the least (but it does save a button )
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Another point about DSTC operation. On most cars that have stability (yaw) control, the system has the ability to operate the throttle (as well as individual brake units) when necessary to stabilize the vehicle. I assume that Volvo's system can do this as well.

DSTC will retard the throttle both in the Dynamic Stability Mode and in the Traction Control Mode. I have tested both and experienced the results.
    Fitst test conducted in 4" new snow, turn wheel hard to either side and max throttle, vehicle has no power and mostly continues straight ahead at 15 mph.
    Deep snow, wheels brake and NO power, very discouraging until I figured out what was going on and by that time I had buried the 03XC so deep that a complete shovel around and under the vehicle was needed. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Happy Saturday morning everyone!

I know this is an ancient thread but I have a quick question on this topic.

I'm not entirely sure I understand how the traction control system actually works. In my mind the system monitors the speed of each individual wheel and will apply the brakes to equalize the wheel speed from one side of the vehicle to the other... (not front to back, that's the haldex... right?)

This brings me to my question. I conducted a test (for the first time) of the AWD system on my 07 XC70 whereby I jacked up all four wheels and simply let the car idle in drive to see if all four wheels actually spin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStfls4E9Ww I've attached a link to the youtube video of this test underway. The rear drivers side's (not visible in the video) brakes apparently were dragging enough to cause the wheel to come to a complete stop. In my mind traction control should have identified this and applied the brakes to the rear passenger side wheel. So at long last my question is... why didn't it?

Have a nice weekend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12