Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default cracked fob open

I also have a flaccid key unit where the spring and locking mechanism are not working.

Quote Originally Posted by dhayner View Post
    When you pop open the battery compartment, a small Torx screw is exposed. I didn't proceed further, but I'm quite sure that unscrewing this will allow access to the key and probably to the spring. Next step is to find a replacement spring at a hardware store.
    I did the above procedure this evening (unscrewed the torx bolt) and the top (key section) of the fob does in fact seperate from the bottom (electronics/battery section).

It appears as though the top (key section) of the fob is a sealed unit. There is a seam where two halves of the top section join but it appears to be fused together. I could not see the spring or locking mechanism. I assume you can get a blank key recut for a lot cheaper than replacing both the key section + electronics of the bottom fob section, but I haven't checked with my dealer.

I spoke to the dealer when i got my car about getting an extra key, and from my discussion with him, I got the following:

~500$CAD to replace the entire thing, cut a new key, new key fob, and programming the CAR to accept the key. (contrary to popular belief, it is the car not the key that gets programmed)

~50 + 1 hour labor to program the car after cutting a new key (not the FOB)
    ~100 to buy and cut a new key (plus the above)

~50 + 1 hour labor to program the car to accept a new key FOB (this is assuming you bring in a key fob complete with all the information required, not just the fob by itself, lots of those for sale on eBay for cheap)

Smile Clean out your key

I bought a 2nd hand XC90 with 2 flip keys and have the same problem. I managed to get the spring to work better (it was sticky & gritty and didn't spring out) but I haven't managed to get it to click back into place into the fob.

I prised the back of the key fob open using a small flathead screwdriver - there is a little indent at the bottom end. This exposes the battery. Then get a torx screwdriver to unscrew the screw. The top part of the fob with the key only then slides off. I then ran the top part with the key under warm water, chucked some washing up liquid and washed out all the grit from inside the spring mechanism. I made sure to get some around the button and let it work it's way inside. While I was washing it it open & closed the unit several times to work the soap and water into the spring mechanism. Then I dried the unit, blowing through it to expel the water. Then I squirted some WD40 into the mechanism to lube it up, worked the key back and forth a few times again, wiped off the excess WD40, slid the key back into the fob, screwed it up tight, clipped the battery compartment back on.

The result was that the spring felt like new. Very quick release, smooth operation (it got stuck half way out before the above washup). So I'm really pleased.

Still haven't managed to get it to click back in every time (although it is a little better than before.

I see there is a similar thread on this forum about a guy in the states who will get the key to lock back into position for $55. I may end up getting his services.

Anyway - not a complete fix but hope the above helps some of you!

Quote Originally Posted by msir1995 View Post
    I have a 2001 XC with seperate remote and key. Can I upgrade to flip key??
    i just got an '01 v70xc myself, and i only have the key, no remote. i saw a list of product recalls for this year somewhere (but can't find it again) and the key fob was listed. do dealers honor recalls if i'm not the first owner? also, where can i find that darn list of recalls?

yes you can I have even seen it done on 98 Keys

but why is the question there kinda crappy

I have some extra 05 key fobs if anyones intrested you do have to basicly gut the 05 remote and swap in your internals and get the key cut from volvo to make it work .
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Default key fix

I fix Volvo switchblade keys. Also referred to as a volvo flip key. When the broken key will not extend or retract, I replace the inner workings. Repair parts are unavailable through Volvo and a replacement key is very expensive. Key replacement and reprogramming is expensive. The "chip", embedded within, is matched to your car. A replacement or used key with a different "chip", won't work. It won't start your car! The key (chip) itself can't be "reprogrammed"! I can save you the hundreds of dollars that the dealer route would cost. Your key will be restored to original factory operation, with your original "chip" within, at a small fraction of the cost. 24 hour turnaround with priority mail.
    Contact Tony at
    [email protected]

Default flip key "switchblade" fix

I fix Volvo switchblade keys. Also referred to as a volvo flip key. When the broken key will not extend or retract, I replace the inner workings. Repair parts are unavailable through Volvo and a replacement key is very expensive. Key replacement and reprogramming of the car unit is expensive. The "chip", embedded within, is matched to your car. A replacement or used key with a different "chip", won't work. It won't start your car! The key (chip) itself can't be "reprogrammed"! I can save you the hundreds of dollars that the dealer route would cost. Your key will be restored to "better than" original factory operation, with your original "chip" within, at a small fraction of the cost. Little ring keep coming detached? Can also update to brand new case with molded plastic key ring adapter! Same day service with priority mail. I include a "tip sheet" explains how they break and how to prevent future problems. Have done hundreds over the past 3 years and had no repeat failures
    Contact Tony at
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12