Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Universal garage door opener

I have been trying to program the universal garage door opener, in the driver's visor, but have been unsuccessful- and can't find anything in the manual... How do I program it?

Thanks

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Welcome to the site mcnic.

You can find details with respect to programming the Homelink in the owners manual here.

If your garage door opener is equipped with a rolling code, then there is more involved with the programming sequence as explained in the manual.

For more help, you can also refer to the training section of the Homelink website here.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnic View Post
    I have been trying to program the universal garage door opener, in the driver's visor, but have been unsuccessful- and can't find anything in the manual... How do I program it?

Thanks
    Press and hold the two end buttons on the visor until they stop flashing (about 20 seconds) then hold your opener up to the visor. Press and hold the button on the opener and at the same time press (and hold) the button you want to use on the Homelink.
    It will start to flash. In about 5 seconds the flashing will stop, the button is now coded

Quote Originally Posted by mcnic View Post

Thanks

On (or in) your garage remote there is a (tiny) switch that changes the signal from 315mHz to 390. After switching the remote to this 390 frequency, you will be able to program your Homelink as described on Homelinks site. This was information neither Volvo, Genie or Homelink offered. I eventually found this info after searching on google for a while.
    After programming the Homelink on 390, change your remote back to 315. This will give you longer range and better battery life supposedly.

Let me know if you need any more help.
    The fleet...

'02 Volvo V70xc w/72k miles SOLD

'03 Honda Element EX AWD w/52k miles
    '81 Toyota Diesel Pickup longbed 2WD w/85k miles
    '92 Plymouth Voyager (beater car) w/100k miles
    '03 Buell XB9 Lightning w/8k mile

[SIGPIC]

I've been trying to program my Homelink with my Stanley garage door opener to NO avail. I went though the intructions in the manual, tried to program it on all 3 buttons, seperately of course. Yes I did the signal change on the remote and no my garage door opener doesn't have a rolling code. I've even had friends read the manual and have them program it. And YES I did call Homelink, the young person the other line wasn't any help either.

Am I simply S.O.L. on this matter since I have an old albeit working Stanley garage door opener?

It'd be nice to use the Homelink and not have to reach over inside the glove compartment to press on the remote. Plus my friends keep asking me what the 3 buttons on my visor is for. I tell them what it's for then say but it doesn't work with my opener.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

CC,

Assuming that you have erased the 3 channels beforehand and have cycled the garage door transmitter every two seconds while continuing to hold down on the Homelink button, the only other suggestion might be to replace the battery in the remote. How old is your opener? Here's what Homelink says about programming an older unit.

As long as the garage door opener is in the same frequency band (288-433 MHz*), HomeLink can be programmed to this older unit. However, frequencies of some older openers can shift outside of the HomeLink operating band, and become incompatible. The best way to program an older garage door opener is: 1) Put NEW batteries in the original transmitter and 2) Hold the original transmitter between one and three inches away from the HomeLink surface until HomeLink learns the signal (refer to our programming section for complete instructions).
    If HomeLink has not picked up the signal within a few seconds, position the original transmitter at different lengths and angles.
    If these suggestions do not work, you may have a problem with the garage door opener itself.

I've tried to install my apartment garage door opening - but no luck. I assume it must be a slightly different code/etc...?
    2001 XC70, original trans

Funny, these work pretty well

I had no problems getting my Homelink programmed for 2 new Chamberlain openers with rolling codes. Although I have to say at first I didn't think they were working, as it seems the visor mechanism is not as responsive (powerful?) as the remote and I have to angle it slightly and hold a couple of seconds to get the signal and the module to connect and activate the door.
    I sure would have been ticked off if this feature was useless.
    05 XC70 Titanium Edition
    2012 BMW X1
    2002 Subaru Outback Sport (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by PGI007 View Post
    I had no problems getting my Homelink programmed for 2 new Chamberlain openers with rolling codes. Although I have to say at first I didn't think they were working, as it seems the visor mechanism is not as responsive (powerful?) as the remote and I have to angle it slightly and hold a couple of seconds to get the signal and the module to connect and activate the door.
    I sure would have been ticked off if this feature was useless.
    I have a 2002 xc70. Cant get any lights to light up. What gives? Pressing 2 outside buttons do nothing. Im about to rip the thing off and use it as a dog toy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast