Default Air Conditioner Blowing Warm or Hot Air Intermittently

We have had bigger issues to deal with lately with intermittent stalling on the interstate. We took car to dealer and we hope they solved the stalling, but for some reason they didn't get around to looking at AC. Sometimes when we have the AC on the vents start blowing warm or hot air instead of cold air. When I cut the unit off for a few minutes and back on most of the time it works again blowing cold air.

Since according to the dealer we have had trouble with our fuel relay I am wondering if this A/C issue might be related to a relay or fuse. Then I start wondering if they might be related.

Also, I read somewhere else something that said if another fan wasn't running that the A/C compressor wouldn't run. Is this correct? I am not sure I have noticed that the fan has been running after the car is turned off.
    Last edited by dtlayman; 08-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Default TSB posted

Take a look here . T remember reading somthing about this and it was a computer software problem. good luck.

I think your problem could be related to the interior temperature sensing system. There is a small fan to blow inside air over
    a temperature sensor. If this fan is blocked/clogged, the AC will not react normal.
    The fan can be found behind 3 small slots in the center console, above the passenger temperature setting knob.
    Try to see if is free, if not try to vacuum clean or air blow, not using too much brute force.
    There are other possible causes of your problem but it may be best to check the simple things first.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default A quick way to check if this temp sensor airflow fan is clogged

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I think your problem could be related to the interior temperature sensing system. There is a small fan to blow inside air over
    a temperature sensor. If this fan is blocked/clogged, the AC will not react normal.
    The fan can be found behind 3 small slots in the center console, above the passenger temperature setting knob.
    Try to see if is free, if not try to vacuum clean or air blow, not using too much brute force.
    There are other possible causes of your problem but it may be best to check the simple things first.
    Willy
    This fan will run for a couple of minutes after the key is out OR when the key is just simply inserted without turning the key cylinder. Just stick your ear close to the 3 slits and listen to hear if anything is turning. If not, then it is clogged.

The symptom my had when it was clogged was no hot air from heater except at MAX setting.

Good luck
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Willy
    I had the same symptoms as "dtlayman", went to the garage they changed what Willy mentioned and the problem was over , it takes only five minnutes to replace it.

Before....
    1993 Opel Astra GSI 16V
    1998 Volvo T4
    2000 Volvo V40 2.0T
    2005 Honda Accord 2.4 Executive
    2004 VW Bora 1.9TDI
    2007 Ford Focus TDCI
    2001 Volvo V70XC

Now.....
    2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 3.2DiD

Thanks for the advice.

I just went out to the car and listened and it sounds like I can hear a little fan running. I went ahead used the vacuum also. It does appear there is a small amount of lint on the sensor that didn't come off when I used the vacuum.

Also, tonight I opened the hood and tried to listen to see if I could hear the compressor cycling on and off. It seemed like I heard something on the passenger side of the engine toward the front of the car clicking on and off every 15-20 seconds. Maybe I should take a video with our digital camera and upload to this site (if you can do that).