Default Newbie XC70 Owner in Toronto

After lusting after Volvo's for many years and buying many other manufacturers products, I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought a 2004, 75,000km/46000ml XC70 yesterday and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Warranty-wise, I've got 23 months and 25,000km/15000ml to go. The car was bought and serviced at the dealership from which I'm buying it. I'm sure when I go to collect it tomorrow, I'm going to be offered the usual "extras". Of those the only one I would consider is extended warranty if the price is right. My basic philosophy (similar to Consumers Choice) is that the price of extended warranties is never right and preys on our insecurities. Having said that, I thought I would just ask the question, how reliable are these vehicles, what are the weak points and at what price is the extended warranty worth it?

Glad to see this forum BTW and look forward to contributing.

I bought the extended warranty on the notorious '01 for 1800 USD but only received about $450 worth of warranty work. The '04 is supposed to be better and more reliable but I think the suspension and wheel bearings may still have weak points.

I just purchased an 04 and opted not to have the extended warranty.

Default No heavy sell

When I collected the car today, to my amazement there was no attempt at selling me anything. Just the paperwork, licensing (along with parking fines I knew nothing about) and a demo of everything on the car. It was all very pleasant and a good introduction to Volvo.

Default No heavy sell

When I collected the car today, to my amazement there was no attempt at selling me anything. Just the paperwork, licensing (along with parking fines I knew nothing about) and a demo of everything on the car. It was all very pleasant and a good introduction to Volvo.

Warranty-wise, I've got 23 months and 25,000km/15000ml to go.
    Sounds to me like it already has an extended warranty of sorts........these cars only have 4yr/80,000km warranty to begin with from new !! Unless you are taking into consideration the corrosion and emissions warranties.

Dave.

Default Very pleased!

Of course you are correct: from new its 4 yrs/80,000km. I'm benefiting from their Certified Pre-owned warranty whic is 60 mths./140,000km.

Although its only been a few days, I'm very happy with the purchase and kicking myself for not doing so years ago. When I think of some of the other cra .... I mean cars I've owned and driven, I just shake my head. This with 70,000 plus km is tighter than some much newer vehicles I've driven in the past.

Default Very pleased!

Of course you are correct: from new its 4 yrs/80,000km. I'm benefiting from their Certified Pre-owned warranty whic is 60 mths./140,000km.

Although its only been a few days, I'm very happy with the purchase and kicking myself for not doing so years ago. When I think of some of the other cra .... I mean cars I've owned and driven, I just shake my head. This with 70,000 plus km is tighter than some much newer vehicles I've driven in the past.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Warranty Work

The only warranty issue we have had with our '04 has been for a wheel bearing. Car has been flawless for the rest so I expect that you should enjoy many years of motoring. We currently have 105,000 kilometers on the clock with about 5,000 of those towing a 3,000+ pound sailboat.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)