Thread: Bevel Gear Pics

Default Bevel Gear Pics

Some pics of my old bevel gear. The vent tube doesn't seem to have any type of valving in it, just baffled by the casing where it is inserted. Picture 003_1 shows the vent. The gear is situated such that the transmission would be to the right. There is very little clearance between the motor/tranny and the vent tube. All the seals have Volvo numbers on them, not sure if they are part numbers.

Shawn

What was wrong with the Bevel gear Shawn? Did your dealer happen to have this part in stock?

Thanks for posting those, Shawn. Was your vent tube clogged up? I wonder if it's possible to squirt carb cleaner through it to clean it, then change the gear oil.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

There was alot of backlash in the gears. Looking at it, there's not much to go wrong with this. I really could have lived with it as it was but the clicking noises were a little annoying. Besides all the backlash, this unit had many miles left in it. I found a new unit on the internet at a greatly reduced price from the dealer, only $500.00. I had to change out the yoke for the rear driveshaft between units. The whole thing took about 6 hours to replace. The hardest part was dropping the rear driveshaft. As for cleaning the vent with carb cleaner, I don't think you'll be able to get the tube into the vent while it is installed on the car. If you were able, I think it would work fine. I also think a small wire would do just as good a job cleaning it out without messing up the oil.

Edit - My vent was not clogged and the seals weren't leaking, just excessive gear backlash. The new unit had almost no backlash.

Shawn

It's amazing that this car can twirl so much hardware around and still get such good mileage. Amazing.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Me again....

Hey Shawn, when you got in there, were there any shims to set up the lash between the ring and the pinion? Or do they just pride themselves on making perfect parts that fit perfectly together (hopefully) as shown on the blue prints? Just wondering, because I have set up the ring and pinion on a differential before, it's not that hard with the right tools. But of course, if there were any shims in there, you couldn't buy them anyway.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Hey Gibbons,

I haven't messed with it that much but the serrated ring (shown on the right side in the first pic) does provide for some adjustment. That would seem to only adjust the bearing tightness for the main thru shaft shown in the last pic. Tomorrow I'll pull the pinion for the rear shaft and see if there is any adjustment there that would remove some backlash. It is worth noting that there is no gasket where the casing bolts together, just permatex.

BTW, thanks for all you contribute to this forum, your posts have proven to be most helpful for some of my problems.

Shawn