PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC Automatic transmission oil

babalu87
04-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Why doesn't Volvo just tell us what the tranny oil is?
They give it a Volvo number leaving us with one option, buy it at a crazy price from them.
Shouldn't the profit margin be on the sale of the car, not sale of the lubricants.
Sure for someone that isn't doing anything other than putting gasoline in the car and making appointments for dealer service this doesn't matter.
Seems alot of Volvo people are do it your-selfers for maintenance.

Do they (Volvo) expect us to believe that it is some secret concotion that is created by men in black suits in a laboratory in Sweden?
There is an oil out there that is suitable, just tell us already.

I bought a former lease vehicle and really want to service the transmission but at $15/quart , $100 for an oil change is crazy talk.

Maybe if enough of us contact them they will tell us the "big" secret?
:rolleyes:

jbl
04-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Mobil is the manfacturer. ATF 3309 is the name of it. Do a search on mobils homepage or just type Mobil ATF 3309 in google and you will find the product sheet.

gibbons
04-12-2005, 10:07 AM
The going rate is more like $300 if you have the dealership do it the right way. I haven't done the Mobil search yet, but that's interesting. The Volvo stuff comes in some very Euro-looking cubical silver jugs.

babalu87
04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Mobil is the manfacturer. ATF 3309 is the name of it. Do a search on mobils homepage or just type Mobil ATF 3309 in google and you will find the product sheet.

Not for the XC.
Only model not listed.
I dont want to do this unless I am 1000% sure I am putting the proper fluid in.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.asp

dlr97
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Not for the XC.
Only model not listed.
I dont want to do this unless I am 1000% sure I am putting the proper fluid in.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.asp

Interesting web site; however the Mobil listing for ATF 3309 has errors. For instance it lists XD90, a model that does not exist. And what is an M70? It gives the the Volvo part no. as 116154. I'll bet that this part no. is for all current Volvo 60, 70, 80, and 90 series automatics, which are supplied by Aisin-Warner, like other cars on the list. It also shows Audi, GM, Saab, and Toyota part numbers.

Maybe your local Porsche dealer has it on sale!!

babalu87
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Valvoline:

Thank you for your question! Valvoline does not have a substitute for the
Volvo gearbox oil for a 2001 Volvo XC.

To: VWEBMAIL@Ashland
cc:

Subject: Re: Site feedback from Valvoline.com

2001 Volvo XC (Cross Country)
Automatic transmission

-------------- Original message --------------

> Thank you for your question! What type of vehicle do you have?

Mobile:
Received: (qmail 2322 invoked by uid 85); 11 Apr 2005 16:40:25 -0000
Received: from [email protected] by mail2.allneo.com by uid 89 with qmail-scanner-1.16
(clamscan: 0.65. spamassassin: 2.x. Clear:.

Mobil does not have a product that will meet your vehicle requirements.

I think its the Mobil too.
Try and buy it.
Try and get Volvo OR Mobil to admit it :rolleyes:

toma nova
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Mobil 3309 is cross-referenced to Volvo part number 116154 (1161540-8 in the owner's manual). From the owner's manual, it's the same automatic tranny in all models: XC/V70/V70AWD.

I'll be using the Mobil 3309 for my flush per the "gibbons method" around 50k miles.

Tom

babalu87
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Mobil 3309 is cross-referenced to Volvo part number 116154 (1161540-8 in the owner's manual). From the owner's manual, it's the same automatic tranny in all models: XC/V70/V70AWD.

I'll be using the Mobil 3309 for my flush per the "gibbons method" around 50k miles.

Tom

The Mobil stuff sure looks/sounds like the correct fluid but why would they tell me Mobil does not have a product that will meet your vehicle requirements. :confused:

Have you found somewhere that sells the Mobil 3309?

dlr97
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
The Mobil stuff sure looks/sounds like the correct fluid but why would they tell me Mobil does not have a product that will meet your vehicle requirements. :confused:

I've found that suppliers of OEM stuff have rather poor records. Look at all the mistakes under the listing for Mobil 3309...

Now we need to find a relatively inexpensive source for this trany oil...

babalu87
04-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I've found that suppliers of OEM stuff have rather poor records. Look at all the mistakes under the listing for Mobil 3309...

Now we need to find a relatively inexpensive source for this trany oil...

LOL, we just need a source.

I haven't found one yet :rolleyes:
Maybe at area 51?
Anyone live in Nevada? ;)

pjablonski
04-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Went through this exercise last summer when I went to change the trans fluid at 38,000 miles on my 2002 XC70 Ocean Race. Car wasn't shifting well even after software upgrades. Examination of the trans fluid suggested it needed changing (red / black, yuck!). Dealer would not change it free ("It doesn't need it!"). They wanted ~$200 between fluid ($61 / gallon), fees and labor! I laughed! Did a little research and found the Mobil site. Checked with the Volvo parts guy and they said they had other customers who used Mobil 3309 without issue, however, they could not officially endorse it because Volvo makes them sell only Volvo-packaged fluid. No surprise there.

Found a distributor in my area. Called them and bought 3 gallons (12 qt. bottles) with shipping for under $45! Flushed the trans with 3 gallons. Fluid was pretty black. Do yourself a favor and get some flexible line from Home Depot (or whereever) and two new o-rings from Volvo for the upper trans cooler line which you'll need to remove to do the flush). Next time I'll flush with 4 gallons to get it crystal clear. What's another $12 on a $42,000 vehicle!

Have had absolutely zero, read zero, problems with trans shifting (now smooth and regular) after 10,000 miles with the Mobil 3309.

A few more facts:
On the Mobil 3309 bottle, they list the Volvo part number (don't recall it off the top of my head), but it matches what Volvo sells.

Mobil also lists the Toyota part number. Was at the Toyota dealer the other day (wife's Sienna) and asked about the fluid based on that part number. Parts guy pointed it out on the shelf behind me for $3.99 / qt! He said he didn't know if Mobil packages it or someone else, but he does know for sure that Toyota doesn't personally produce the fluid. I think that Mobil packages it for Toyota (and Volvo) or has a distributor do it. Makes financial sense.

So, the moral of the story: Look and ye' shall find
or
Volvo and Toyota don't produce special fluid for the thousands of Aisin-Warner transmissions they use. They use off-the-shelf 3309 (probably from Mobil).

Here's a link to the Mobil distributor site:
http://www.prod.exxonmobil.com/channelpartners/ns_distributor_directory.jsp

Here's the distributor I used in my state of Massachusetts:
Schultz Lubricants, Inc.
164 Shrewsbury St.
West Boylston, MA 01583
508-835-4446
800-262-3962
508-835-4446
508-835-4134 (fax)

Now we need someone to reverse engineer the interface box between the OBDII connector and a laptop running VADIS so we can really deal with repair issues on these cars ;-)

Pete

babalu87
04-15-2005, 08:13 AM
SWEET!
First hand experience AND a distributor in my area.
Thanks.

LOL, Mobil has Volvos part number on the container and is still unwilling to tell you its the same stuff :rolleyes:

I knew this had a Men In Black ring to it, where's Tommy Lee Jones when you need him :cool:

What method did you use for the flushing?
Thanks

pjablonski1
04-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Glad I was able to bring some sense to all this. Note change in user name. Had trouble logging in and reregisterd with slightly different user name. :cool:

If you visit http://www.ipdusa.com/pdf/PI-290TrannyFlushKit.pdf you'll get a PDF document describing the general procedure. Don't worry that they say it's for 850s and the C70. I've done this procedure on my 93 945T and my 02 XC70. Just remember, this is a car. Common sense works well most of the time and if you think about it logically you'll be fine. Don't be afraid!

Before passing Go and collecting $200, hike on down to your friendly Volvo dealer and have him / her sell you two O-rings (3537503) and one snap lock (9485149) for the trans line (see picture, red arrow). The part numbers for my 2002 are in parentheses, your numbers may be different depending on the year, but I suspect the aren't. The parts guys will do you right. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple of bucks here. Replace the O-rings! If you nick one of the old one you could be sorry. $2-3 vs. $$ new transmission $$ as you pump it dry. Pick up the snap ring. I've never broken one, but know people who have and they're SOL when then do this on a Sunday night and have to be at work Monday morning. Again, cheap insurance.

volvo_trans.gif

Warning: Here are a few tips for the XC70. Please pay attention to #2!:

1. You still disconnect the upper trans fluid line at the radiator (right side if your standing looking at the engine, upper line, blue arrow in picture). I find it useful to have a wrag or paper towel under the hose as I remove it. I found it best to drive the car for awhile (maybe 30 minutes), let it cool for about a hour and then proceed. This way you don't burn yourself yet the fluid is still sufficiently warm which help keep alot of the "crud" suspended. You'll see the two O-rings on the connector along with the clip (see red arrow in picture).

2. As described in the above PDF document they connect a hose to the line itself. I found on my XC70 that you have to attach a hose to the radiator side. Very important! This is a little trickier. If anyone knows of a supplier of the connector that goes into the radiator (attached to the trans cooling hose) it would make it foolproof. However, I ended up going to Home Depot and getting a 1" (if I remember correctly; it may have been 3/4") washing machine hose from the plumbing section. It's black in color which isn't ideal. Clear would be better, but on a Sunday afternoon I didn't have time to be pickey and HD didn't have any clear line. I inserted the tube in the neck of the radiator fitting and ran a couple of wraps of electrical tape around it. There's no high pressure or anything, but just in case.

Oh yeah, don't blame me if for some reason your car pumps the fluid out of the trans cooling hose and not the radiator! I can't imagine they would change this, but who knows.

Alternately, I suppose you could pull the bottom hose, but then you might be working against gravity and then explain to the wife about that oil puddle on the driveway! Stick with the top line / fitting!

3. Follow the rest of the directions. It might be useful to have a helper start / stop the car. I found that the fluid flows out a slow enough rate that I can do this myself.

4. Remember to replace those O-rings. I don't care if they look alright! Replace them. The key to success in most jobs is taking care of the details. Don't cheat here, it could cost you!

5. Dispose of the trans fluid properly!

If you have any questions, just let me know. It's really easy and cheap compared to the dealer.

Pete

gibbons
04-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Transmission fluid changing seems to be a common concern. Here is the procedure I used: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5668The 9/16" hose with teflon tape fit really well, didn't leak, and the clear allowed me to easily and quickly see when the trans was empty, which was nice because you can't hear the pump cavitate. I wish I had known that the o-rings and clip were available items, I thought it would be an assembly, and getting wrenched on the the transmission fitting at the other end looked impossible.

Now, level checking. My car has the yellow dipstick, older models apparently have no dipstick(?) Anyway, dipstick procedure is weird. If I go and fire up the car, then drive for 30 miles, and pull the dipstick, there will only be a dob of ATF on the end. Yikes!. But if I wipe it and re-insert it and pull it out, the fluid level will be at the right level on the stick. What is going on?

I theorized that the the o-ring on the dipstick makes a pressure tight seal in the tube the stick goes into. When the car is cold, all the ATF contracts and the level in the transmission drops way low. But then when it gets hot and expands, air pressure in the tube keeps the ATF from rising up on the stick. So when you pull it out and break that pressure, it allows the ATF to rise in the tube to the "real" level, and the dipstick then plunges into it.

What do you think?

pjablonski1
04-17-2005, 05:34 AM
The pressure buildup caused by the dipstick initially sounds reasonable, but I think this theory can be potentially discounted as there is an air vent valve on top of the trans. I can send a semi-exploded view of the transmission if anyone is interested (haven't figured out how insert picture yet, can somebody tell me and I'll post it here; tried img tags, but no luck; gif images are limited in size; can't cut and paste either; junior member issue?).

Here's the official Volvo procedure for trans fluid checking in the XC from VADIS if it helps anyone. Attached is a temperature vs. dipstick level graph which also may be handy (also from VADIS). Note: this is for 2002 XC70, with other years your mileage may vary.
------------------------------------------------------
Oil level, checking
Warning! Avoid skin contact with the transmission fluid.
Note! Use only transmission oil, Volvo P/N 116 1540-8 (1 liter container), 116 1640-6 (4 liter container).

Conditions
The difference between the MAX and MIN volumes is 0.2 liters. Check the oil temperature in the transmission.
At room temperature (+20 °C) the oil level is close to the MIN mark on the "cold area".
At room temperature (+20 °C) and low oil level the oil barely reaches the dipstick.
The "cold range" (+40 °C) is reached after approximately 15 minutes idling in the workshop, while the "hot range" (+80 °C) is reached after approximately 30 minutes highway driving at an air temperature above +15 °C.
Note! Carry out the check at an oil temperature of +80 °C. Go to car communication function group 4. Select the digital display parameter. Select the parameter for the transmission oil temperature.

Preparing to check the oil level
Park the car on a level surface.
Apply the parking brake.
Apply the foot brake.
Let the engine idle.
Move the gear selector lever to position P.

Move the gear selector through all positions. Wait in each position for approximately 3 seconds
Move gear selector to position P and wait approximately 2 minutes before checking the oil level.
The dipstick must be pushed down as far as possible into the dipstick tube.
Caution! Wipe the dipstick with a nylon cloth or similar. Do not use a cloth which may leave fluff or threads.

Low level (topping up)

Top up with oil through the dipstick pipe
Take account of the temperature when topping up with oil. See Preparing to check the oil level .

High level (overfilling)
Warning! The oil may be very hot if the car has just been driven. Avoid skin contact with the transmission fluid.
Warning! The transmission must not be operated if the oil level is too high. This can cause increased operating temperatures and oil leakage.

Drain off oil
Undo the drain plug.
Allow some of the oil to drain out and reinstall the plug. Tighten to 40 Nm.
Check the level taking account of the temperature. SeeConditions , Preparing to check the oil level andMove the gear selector through all positions. Wait in each position for approximately 3 seconds .
The oil can also be sucked out through the dipstick pipe using an oil suction syringe with a narrow gauge hose.
Note! Strict cleanliness is important.

gibbons
04-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Yeah, there's a great big pressure equalization vent on top of the transmission case. However, the dip stick tube pokes down into the fluid, so it becomes its own little pressure system independent of the case pressure, but dependent on the fluid level outside of it. Kinda like an atmospheric pressure manometer, only different.

Hey, where did you get your Vadis info? :)

pjablonski1
04-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that pressure thing makes sense now.

I got my Vadis off Ebay. If you go this route, make sure they send the administrator is and password. It's a great reference and covers many years of Volvos. Fun to look through too. :)

babalu87
04-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Checked with the Volvo parts guy and they said they had other customers who used Mobil 3309 without issue, however, they could not officially endorse it because Volvo makes them sell only Volvo-packaged fluid. No surprise there.

Found a distributor in my area. Called them and bought 3 gallons (12 qt. bottles) with shipping for under $45!

On the Mobil 3309 bottle, they list the Volvo part number (don't recall it off the top of my head), but it matches what Volvo sells.

Here's the distributor I used in my state of Massachusetts:
Schultz Lubricants, Inc.
164 Shrewsbury St.
West Boylston, MA 01583
508-835-4446
800-262-3962
508-835-4446
508-835-4134 (fax)

Now we need someone to reverse engineer the interface box between the OBDII connector and a laptop running VADIS so we can really deal with repair issues on these cars ;-)

Pete

Called this AM and my 2 cases (6 gallons) are on the way, $39.93/case and they may have a truck in my area tommorow so the shipping could be free :D

They wouldn't break up a case for me, anyone need some? I'll have extra :)

How much did you have to sweet talk Betty to get her to break up a case for you :p

Now about that Vadis.....................

babalu87
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks to gibbons and pjablonski1

I did the tranny flush today.
Entire job takes less than an hour.
Buy TWO cases of Mobil 3309, I went through 18 quarts but my fluid is CRYSTAL clear now.
I was amazed at how BLACK the other fluid was, horrified may have been a better word :eek:

When you pinch the green clip dont be afraid to squeeze it hard and pull pretty frimly on the hose, needs a little boost to get it unplugged.

The flush job is easier than an oil change.

I made up a funnel with a pilfered funnel from the kitchen and a length of clear hose that I heated with HOT water and slipped over the funnel to make a custom job that fits in the dipstick hole NO DRIPS!

9/16" OD hose (wrapped with teflon) for the line off the radiator (hardware store) and you really need 6 feet.
DO NOT shove the hose too far in the gallon jug :rolleyes: hadn't spilled a drop until the 7th and 8th quarts :mad:
I used the empty case box from the tranny fluid to stabilize the milk jug I used to catch the fluid (that was marked at 2 quarts)
Using 6 feet of hose allowed me to have the jug close to the drivers side and watch the fluid being flushed.
The fluid was clean at 16 quarts but going the extra two made it as clear as it comes in the bottle.
Glad I did this job, the car shifts so much nicer now.

sherwinb
05-03-2005, 03:51 PM
So I called Volvo for getting random parts for my 2001 XC V70 and while I was on the phone I asked the lady what type of Transmission fliud I need to buy and she immediately asked why i needed to know this? She asked if I planned on doing this job myself? I replied, yes perhaps or just for my general knowledge. Her response was that i should come in and have Volvo do this for me. My response was plain and simple saying I have heard that having Volvo do this cost way too much money...BTW she never answered my questions as to the type of fluid but I will go with the Mobil.

Also, she mentioned that if I wanted to replace my fog light in the front (part I was inquiring about) that I couldnt just pop the new one in. Supposedly, it needs software (is all she would tell me...oh and the price $340)

Lastly, my transmission seems to have a lot of kicks and is not smooth off a complete stop. Will the flush help? and can I do this Transmission Cleansing if I am a relative beginner?

babalu87
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, the flush helped ours.

If you can change your oil you can do this job, this post has good info in it.
Get a spare clip and o-rings in case they get messed up.

Does seem Volvo is a little over protective on the transmission flush doesnt it?
I find it irresponsible of them to say that the fliud doesnt need to be changed just inspected :confused:
If you dont change out that fluid you're asking for trouble.
Mine was awefull black.

gibbons
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
I was in the garage and picked up the Volvo ATF jug to read the label closely. Although it looks very Euro, with it's cubical shape and multi-lingual labels, at the bottom, it said, "Made in Japan".