PDA

View Full Version : 1998 V70 Non Turbo. Odd Smell in cabin

Jake529
04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok, my car has no exhuast leaks, had the manifold replaced two weeks ago, the flex pipe split. This was done at Lovering Volvo. Good mechanic worked on the car. It seems that I am getting some kind of wierd smell in the car, leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and makes my eyes water. Its not exhaust, thinking its fuel??? There are no check engine lights on. Car runs great and very quite. I am at a loss were to look for this oder. It has been with the car since I bought it. When the ac is on still there... Anyone????

Thanks
Jake

98 Volvo V70 136,000 miles....

kljukusa
04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
cabin air filter?

Jake529
04-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I was thinking of that... The air for the cabin has to go past that filter to enter the car....... If that was full of some funky stuff, and if its contaminated then as that air goes past it stink comes in.. Will check it out in the am....

Thanks for the heads up..

Jake

JRL
04-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Heater core starting to leak? Nasty smell

Jake529
04-13-2008, 06:39 AM
JRL,

Its not nasty, its just like my eyes start to get itchy and I can taste something in the back of my mouth... Like a metal taste... The heater core isn't leaking that I can tell.... The windows aren't fogging up like it would if it was starting. I replaced the cabin air cleaner and it was FILTHY. Vacumed the area were it goes in. I am going to drive the car today and see if that helped at all.. Thanks for that heads up...

Jake

JRL
04-13-2008, 07:01 AM
JRL,

Its not nasty, its just like my eyes start to get itchy and I can taste something in the back of my mouth... Like a metal taste... The heater core isn't leaking that I can tell.... The windows aren't fogging up like it would if it was starting. I replaced the cabin air cleaner and it was FILTHY. Vacumed the area were it goes in. I am going to drive the car today and see if that helped at all.. Thanks for that heads up...

Jake
When a heater core JUST starts to go, you won't see any misting or visible leakage but the smell is unmistakable, an anti freeze like smell.
If the filter helped, you have to go farther beyond just a change.
You have to remove it again and spray the entire (AC) air intake area with Fridgee Fresh or any good like product mildew remover. Also wash that area with a bleach and water solution to kill all the bacteria (and the smells)

Jake529
04-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I will do that, thanks your a wealth of INFO... That filter was so dirty... I checked on the cover and it was last changed on Jan 3 2000.....was full of leaves, pine needles and other stuff.
JAKE

If that doesn't work the fuel system is closed loop system correct? If something is not sealed would that trip a light???

JRL
04-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Possibly.
If your cabin fuilter is so old you really need to do what I said.
If not for the smells, it's to keep your evaporator in one piece. That's part of keeping it clean and dry so it won't rust
(It will eventually, but why make it easy)?

Jake529
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Master,

I went out and washed and cleaned and scrubbed that area. Bought some antibactiral spray and cleaned the fan inside there.... Your correct, that filter protects the condenser from the outside.. I will let you know... Your knowledge is priceless.......

Joilet Jake

JRL
04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, if you did it thoroughly it should now have a mild bleach oder that will disapate in a day or so.
Is the original smell still there?
Evaporator, the condensor is the small radiator in front of your main radiator

Jake529
04-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Right sorry for that slipup.... The car is sitting in the garage, I have to go out and do some limo work..... On Monday and Tuesday.. If that doesn't do the trick, I am thinking it could be that CAT is leaking from the top of it......

Jake

Jake529
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tip on the lines... The core isn't leaking and there are no leaks from the lines going in....I looked.. Still have the raw taste in my mouth and the yawning going on.. Cleaning and spraying the area were the cabin filter didn't help any... I am stumped.... Could the seal around the rear wagon door not have a good seal around it?????

Jake

JRL
04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Try to EXACTLY describe the smell

Jake529
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
OK.. There is NO smell coming into the car... What is happening is that while the car is driving, I have a sulfur type taste in the back of my throat. My eyes get itch and I am yawing like crazy, my arms get weak. I am not crazy, I put about 400 miles on my Mercury Grand Marquis and this problem isn't there. I am not on any drugs, no smoking or drinking... THis is driving me nuts.. NO smell is coming into the car, isn't Carbon Monixide ordorless????. And the fresh air switch is on all the time....

Jake

Jake529
04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I am about two days from ditching this car at a dealership and getting something else...

Jake

JRL
04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
OK.. There is NO smell coming into the car... What is happening is that while the car is driving, I have a sulfur type taste in the back of my throat. My eyes get itch and I am yawing like crazy, my arms get weak. I am not crazy, I put about 400 miles on my Mercury Grand Marquis and this problem isn't there. I am not on any drugs, no smoking or drinking... THis is driving me nuts.. NO smell is coming into the car, isn't Carbon Monixide ordorless????. And the fresh air switch is on all the time....

Jake
Sulphur?
Sounds like classic Catalytic converter to me.
A bad converter can (not necessarily) smell like rotton eggs

Jake529
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
OK, guys and girls. The problem has been solved. Now the riddle is, can you figure out what the problem was????? There was and exhaust leak. It was bad enough to make me feel ill..... It wasn't under the car....... And it was a very easy fix....... And it wasn't the cars fault or any faulty Sweedish enginereering...... Anyone?????

Joliet Jake

JRL
04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
OK, guys and girls. The problem has been solved. Now the riddle is, can you figure out what the problem was????? There was and exhaust leak. It was bad enough to make me feel ill..... It wasn't under the car....... And it was a very easy fix....... And it wasn't the cars fault or any faulty Sweedish enginereering...... Anyone?????

Joliet Jake
How can it NOT be from under the car? :confused:
The exhaust comes from the back of the engine (considered under the car) all the way back UNDER the car
I DID say exhaust (more or less)

Jake529
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, I will give you an clue.... I am an IDIOT...... OH hell here is the answer.. When I changed my spark plugs the car was bone cold.... I used Volvo plugs. It seemes that a cold engine once it gets hot, your supposed to go back and tighten the spark plugs done to make sure they are snug... I didn't do that... My Volvo tech gave me a quick lesson on me being a dolt.... Three of the five plugs were loose.. Tighten them up and everything is fine....... Again,.;;;;; I am a dolt...

Jake